Chapter 17

(Zayn's POV)

I walked into school with my head down and fists curled. I marched down the hallway and turned corners until I found who I was looking for.

I grabbed him and turned the corner then slammed his back into the wall. I held onto his collar as I glared at him.

"What is it now?" Harry rolled his eyes and huffed.

"What were you doing talking to Emily?" I growled.

"Warning her."

"Why? She's fine."

"Listen, it's not like I care too much about her, okay? I just thought that I might try something new and try to help someone for once."

"Leave her alone." I let go of him and took a step back. Emily doesn't need any more warnings. Every one is telling her to stay away from me, even Harry!

"You know she's going to get hurt," Harry said as he pushed himself off the wall.

"Not if she's with me," I shook my head.

"She will if she's with you! You're putting her in danger."

"I can protect her," I stated. I can keep her safe. I can keep her away from harm.

"Oh, really? You know what Chris is capable of, and if he knows about Emily-"

"He won't!" I glared at him. Chris won't do anything to my Emily.

"Fine. Think what you want. Just know that I tried to help," Harry shook his head as he walked down the hall.

I ran my hands through my hair and took a deep breath.

What am I doing? I know what Chris can and will do if he knows about Emily. He can do anything he wants.

But I can try. I can try to protect Emily. I can keep her safe.

I sighed as I walked down the hall to my English class. I was down the hallway when the bell rang. I lifted my head up and saw Emily run into the room.

I smiled and jogged the rest of the way to class. I walked in and looked at Emily as she took her seat.

I smiled and walked to my seat. When she looked up at me I winked at her and sat behind her.

Mr. Williams started talking about the lesson as I ignored him. I grabbed a white sheet of paper and a pencil and started drawing.

I never pay attention to any of my classes. They all mean nothing to me. The class is just another place to either sleep or draw.

The bell rang an hour later and I stood up and walked out of class with Emily.

"Do you ever do any work in class?" Emily smiled. She has a beautiful smile. It makes her face light up and her eyes sparkle.

"No," I chuckled. The bell rang again throught the halls.

"I'll see you later," Emily said and started walking away.

I grabbed her arm and kissed her cheek then brought my lips up to her ear.

"See you soon," I whispered then walked away without another word.

***

After school I walked across the grass and to my car. When I opened the door I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

I took out my phone and looked at the screen. It was a text from Jack. He was kind of like Chris's assistant.

Meeting. Now.