Chapter 37

I woke up to an annoying beeping sound. I slowly opened my eyes to a very white room. White walls, white floors, and white bed sheets.

God I hate hospitals.

There was a nurse standing beside my bed. She smiled when she saw I had woken up.

"Hey, you're up. How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," I mumbled. "What happened?"

"The fire team came in just in time to get you and another boy out of the building. The doctors worked on your leg and it's not too bad. You've got some stitches though so try not to move it too much."

I nodded. "What happened to Zayn?"

"Who?"

"The other boy that was with me. He's my boyfriend. Where is he?"

"He's okay, don't worry. He's in one of the rooms down the hall. He inhaled a lot of smoke, so did you, but we took care of it. He had a few broken bones though, but he'll be fine," she smiled.

I nodded again. At least he's okay.

"Your brother is outside. Do you want him to come in?"

"Sure."

She walked out of the room and a moment later Tyler busted in.

"Emily! Oh my God. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"They wouldn't let me in until you were awake. How the hell did you even get in that situation?"

"It's a long story."

"Well, you're going to tell it."

"Tyler, it's not a big deal. I'm okay now. I was kidnapped but Zayn helped us escape."

"I have a feeling he's the reason this happened."

I didn't say anything.

"He is, isn't he? I knew this would happen! I knew you would get hurt!"

"My leg will heal."

"And what if something else like this happens?"

"It won't. Ty, you need to calm down."

"I'm not the one in the hospital with an injured leg that almost died in a fire."

"And yet you're the one freaking out."

He ran his hands through his hair and quietly paced the floor. After a few minutes he looked at me.

"I don't want you seeing him anymore."

"Not again," I sighed.

"I'm serious! Look at what he's done."

"He didn't do this. And you have no right to tell me who to be with. You can't make this decision for me."

"I'm only trying to help."

"Well, stop trying. You know what, just leave. I'm too tired for this."

"Em-"

"No. Just go."

He sighed. "Dad's here too. He wants to see you."

When has he ever wanted to see me?

"Um. Yeah, he can come in."

Tyler nodded and left the room. A few minutes later Dad came in. He didn't say anything as he took a chair from the corner of the room, dragged it to the side of the bed and sat down.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay. What are you doing here?"

"I-I wanted to see you."