♡Chapter Eight♡

*This chapter includes a few moments of temporary temptation between Jade and Amos; however, they do not act on their lust for each other*

✨️✨️✨️

One Month Later

The King of Toph and King Vernon stand in the recreation room in silence, an intense game of billiards set before them. To King Vernon's surprise, and slight discomfort, the King of Toph, King Daniel Valdez, has been spending a suspicious amount of time in Aria since the events of the homecoming ball for the Queen and Jade. Considering the addition of Princess Harmony on these visits, he's aware that the King has more than just friendship in mind.

"Daniel, do tell me what we're doing here." King Vernon asks as King Daniel frowns a bit taken aback as he gestures to the billiard table.

"Why Vernon, we're playing a game of billiards of course. Has the sounds of my impending victory disrupted your train of thought?" King Daniel asks, his tone forcefully playful only adding to the obviousness of his need to hide his true ambitions. King Daniel is an expressive man, his persona exudes kindliness, though in Vernon's years on the throne, much malice can come from one formerly wearing a smile.

"Daniel, while beating you in billiards is a source of entertainment, I imagine that you wouldn't leave your kingdom unattended this often purely for the joy of losing at my hand." King Vernon says while aligning his cue with the white ball on the table. With a quick sharp motion, King Vernon hits the ball into the table which bounces around three times before stopping directly as it contacts the closely positioned red and yellow balls, earning him yet another point.

"Nothing gets past you, huh Vernon. Well, as you know my daughter Harmony has come of age, and it seems that she's taken an interest in your son Amos. She was quite insistent that I..." King Vernon raises his hand to stop King Daniel from continuing. He knew that this was the intention, but now he must do his best to diffuse the situation in a way that hopefully doesn't make Aria a new enemy.

"I apologize to be so blunt Daniel, but I'm afraid I cannot honor your request." King Vernon says sternly as King Daniel tries to hide his disappointment with a fake smile.

"How so, friend? Amos is well past the age to be wed, yet I've heard no word of a wedding or a bride in his near future." King Daniel notes as he picks up the chalk and begins to rub it on the tip of his cue as King Vernon shakes his head.

"Well, my wife and I chose it to be this way for our son's privacy, but Aria will have her heirs solidified before the next spring. My son and his bride-to-be have been courting for about a month now, though they've known each other much longer than that." King Vernon says vaguely as King Daniel gently places the chalk down, his brain spinning to try and read between the lines and decipher who managed to steal Amos's heart before Harmony could make her move.

"Well, I only wish the best for Aria's future. May I ask who the Queen-to-be is? If she's earned the approval of yourself and the lovely Queen Veronica, she must be quite the prize." King Daniel says as King Vernon quickly scans his brain for something to say that will optimistically be enough to satiate his curiosity. He'd prefer not to drag Jade into this by name, she has enough to deal with without needing to be concerned about the Kingdom of Toph being displeased that she's been dating the prince despite not having royal blood.

"She is a cherished member of this family and has been for years, the Queen and I are thrilled to have the two moving forward with their relationship. The Queen-to-be is a strong-willed, traditionally trained young lady, more than qualified for the position. That is all I can say on the matter." King Vernon says as King Daniel smiles and places down his cue after having heard enough. King Vernon does everything in his power not to let out a sigh of relief at his departure.