CHAPTER SIX: BREAKING THE CHAINS

Start from the beginning

"Does that mean she's royalty?" Greenhood asked.

"Which is why she had a bounty on her head—" Gregor commented.

"Aye. Her royal dad wanted her back," Arne added.

"We're leaving," another voice cut in when someone was walking over to where they were.

Turning their heads, they saw it was Pirate.

"What? Why? What's going on?" Faelan asked.

[GEM]

"They're getting the place ready for war. Whoever this lunatic is, he basically declared war on the whole north and every clan here will be preparing for it. So we'll pick up jobs elsewhere, where we won't be interrogated, killed, or locked out of ports. We'll head south. To the Atlantic," he told them as he strode over to the cliff's edge, spotting their boat at the docks.

"I don't think Uriah will be happy with that decision, mate," Arne told him with skepticism.

"He's determined to save Captain and won't stop until he does. You know him," Faelan said.

"I won't stay here and fight someone else's war—"

"Someone else's?" Gregor cut in, a little frustrated. "We were the ones who helped Captain find that tomb. We were the ones who plundered it. It's our fault Tempus Mora is out there killing off clan leaders and kings. I refuse to run now. Uriah will want to stay and make sure the people of Berk don't pay the price for our mistake and I will be standing with him."

[GEM]

The others were silent at this, not expecting this reply from the "usually disengaged joyous round man". But there was truth to his words and they felt it.

Arne sighed. "...Well that's one hell of a guilt trip, init?" he said with his hand behind his neck.

"I'll stay, Buckle," Faelan said. "I'm not usually one for fixing my mistakes or even doing things for those in need... but if Uriah and Captain taught me anything, it's that it's our job to help others... and... I'd like to try how that feels for once."

Gregor smiled at his friend and put a hand on his shoulder as a thanks.

"Fine... I mean I can't sail a ship without at least three anyway so... what choice do I have?"

"Aye, that's the spirit," Buckle complimented with a hint of sarcasm.

Ruarrc was the only one not replying and when they looked at him he seemed pissed. He let out a low growl mixed with a sigh and shook his head. "Dammit," he cursed between his teeth. "You'll admit it when you see that you were wrong about this," he told them with anger before he turned and left back the way he came.

[GEM]

"Well... I'm glad we could stay together," Gregor said with a smile as he hooked his arms around his two crewmates.

"Don't make me regret this," Arne threatened.

Faelan just laughed.

"Psst hey lads!" one of the sailors said when he peaked below the hold door, disturbing the dirty young men from their contemplation. "I think we've arrived."

They exchanged some looks among themselves, one of them helping up a young boy as they began to cluster around the stairs and swarm onto the deck with curiosity, their half broken shackles clanking as they walked.

[GEM]

The air around them was densely cloaked in fog, so much so that it felt unnatural. The was a bitter cold to the air of course, letting them know they went even further north. But beyond that they had no idea where and even how far they traveled. But anywhere was better than where they came from. Emerging into the grim and dark daylight, they saw only layers of clouds above their heads as it seemingly teased a coming snowfall.