Chapter Fifteen

Whisper's hooves pounding on the dirt road and the birdsong in the trees was a familiar sound as she galloped after the party. There really was no tracking them yet, so I let her run. The wind against my face was hot, but at this point I didn't care. It was nice to not hear the clank of dishes or the low hum of voices. At the estate, one could even hear the city in the background. It wasn't separated enough not to.
Out here, there was the rustle of the tress, the animals, and Whisper's thundering hooves. I leaned in close and listened to her breath come in and out. I simply felt her muscles as I rode, putting all my focus into it. It wasn't long before the mare slowed to a trot, allowing me to keep the distance I needed from the Ziir's party.
At a trot, however, riding couldn't keep my mind entirely engaged. There was no real tracking to be done, either. Such a large party would have been nearly impossible to hide even if they were trying. The Ziir had no reason to cover his tracks.
The road is quite busy, so not all of the tracks are theirs. But his are fresher, as it's early in the morning. By the time the road becomes busy, we will be on less traveled ones.
I tried to keep my thoughts on my prey, but it stubbornly didn't want to stay there.
Do they even know what they're asking? What they keep offering? How many times do I have to tell her that I cannot help her raise Vincent? How many times do I have to tell her that I cannot grow old with her or watch Vincent grow up?
When did the lines start blurring between business and lovers? Between my client's child and mine? When did these feelings start to haunt me? How did this go from a simple contract to see me home, to considering staying a little longer? When exactly did I start to care?
I couldn't pinpoint any one moment that screamed we are more than friends. Nor could I pinpoint the exact moment I'd developed parental feelings towards Vincent.
There were warning signs, though. I sighed. I should have noticed and backed off in the beginning. Now the only way to rid myself of these feelings is to face them head on and destroy them.
Is that fair to Vincent? To sever the only father-son bond he's ever had? Should I even be calling Vincent he? Should I be using gender-neutral terms like I do for myself?
I slowed down at the sight of town. Whisper stopped at the closest inn without prompting, throwing her head with a neigh. I looked down at the tracks and sighed.
They rode right by the damn thing. Of course they did. Their party is too large to sleep at an inn.
Thick, black clouds had been creeping across the sky for hours. Now, the air was charged with anticipation. It was thick and heavy like the clouds. A rumble filled the air as the thunderhead rolled with lightening, making Whisper throw her head.
Let them get sick in the rain. This will stop them before dark anyway.
I handed Whisper over to the groom. "My horse is too tired to be trouble, but I will ready the mare in the morning."
The man raised an eyebrow. "Miss, I cin handle a mare." He looked us over. "Why are ya dressed an' riding like a man?"
"I'm from the north. I can saddle my own horse, groom. The animal is war-trained. Leave my beast to me in the morning."
He shook his head. "It's my job, ma'am."
I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Fine. If you get kicked because you think grooming and saddling a horse requires a penis, go for it. Know if you are laid up because of a broken rib, it's your own damn fault. But if I find a single crop mark on my mount, I will gut you."
I gave Whisper an affectionate pat before leaving the mare with him. I headed inside, paying for tea and bread with cheese. I added my herbs before eating and drinking.
"Hey, aren't you a bard?"
The clothes always give me away.
I sighed. "Give me back my coin, and I'll sing."
Is this how the entire trip is going to be? I might as well just ask from here out if they want me to work for my stay. I should have expected this. It's not like I've not paid for my stay with service before.
She happily gave me back my coin. I sat back to observe the room first. A decent crowd was here, mainly consisting of the working class. Most of them wouldn't know Torren history very well, since few people became bards in this area.
It doesn't pay well. You pretty much become a bard here out of sheer love of knowledge. These people would be enthralled by a tale of their own history.
I contemplated which part of their history before composing the details. Once I had the words and the dance in mind, I took to the stage. The person on stage paused in playing her harp.
The harp isn't right for this.
"Can you play the drums?"
"Yes."
"Do you know how to play a battle march?"
She nodded.
"Go get your drum. I'm about to sing about war."
She practically leapt out of her seat to do as I asked. She hurried off the stage, catching people's attention. The room was utterly silent before she'd returned and took her seat. It was the perfect setting for the sound of a death march to begin.
She's pretty good. I bet you she plays for her keep here. Might make enough to survive with her gift.
I took out my daggers and began combat stances. Swinging and twisting with the rhythm of the drum, I began the tale in a deep baritone.
As I sliced and ducked and twisted and twirled, the deep baritone of my voice joined the thrum of the drums. The crowd erupted in cheer as the performance reached the end, standing in their seats or banging mugs on tables with their shouts and cheers. Sweat beaded my forehead as I climbed down the stage but watching them made the night perfect.
At least it kept my mind off Sofia until I was alone in bed, unable to stop missing her. I tossed and turned all night, and was out before dawn. This prevented the groom from trying to handle Whisper, as he was still in bed. The wind tugged at our backs as the storm chased us. Thunder boomed and lightening lit up the skies behind us, but there was no rain yet.
The next time the company came across an inn, the storm was bad enough to drive them inside. Here, only five men joined him inside. They filled up three of the four rooms the inn had, leaving only their smallest for me to rent.
I kept an eye on them as they got drunk. The inn keeper watched me warily and closely. I watched him out of the corner of my eye.
Don't try to stop me.
He approached me as they retired to their bed. "What's he done?"
I glared at him. "What?"
"You're here to kill 'im, aren't you?"
"I don't-"
"Don't lie about it. I won't stop ya, and I won't call the guard. I just want to know what he's done."
I sighed, looking down at my tea. "He's abusing someone important to me, and her son."
"Take her and run instead." He told me softly. "I can see you're from up north. From your style of dress, you go by they and them, right?"
"Here, yes."
"Take her home with you. Leave him and go."
I shook my head. "I don't think they would be happy. We live very different lives there, and in the end, they’d loose everything."
He put his hand on mine. "I can see you've not lived an easy life, stranger. But taking his isn't worth it. He'll drink himself to death anyway."
"What I've seen that monster do makes doing this worth it." I growled out, taking my hand away.
"I can see you love this woman and her child, stranger. I have no doubt about it. But that man isn't worth loosing your life for." He gave the party that protected Ryker a look. "I know exactly who that man is. He is indeed a monster. But one day, he will die deep in his drink. His son will take power, and you can stay with them without risking the noose."
I sat back and sighed.
I can't kill him here, either way. There's no way he won't call the guard.
"Very well." He shook his head. "Please, just don't do it here. We don't need the reputation."
This man is a kind one. He is the type I'd refuse to kill.
Fine. I will respect him, as he is respecting me.
I nodded once.
"Thank you. Please, do not get yourself killed." Then he left me to my own. I went to bed after eating, feeling off.
I won't spare Ryker's life. But I will do my best not to loose mine in the process of taking his.
I didn't leave until a few hours after the Ziir's party did.
Towns became scarcer and travelers became fewer as I tracked the men. By the time I reached them, we were the only souls on the road. I tied up my hood, pulled my cloak close and hung back. I'd passed a hunter earlier, but even they were reluctant to go too far from a town.
There are very few Torrans who wish to cross the border. Sell-swords and criminals are the only ones who would travel in the rain. They'll start to suspect me if I continue to follow them.
When they set camp, I rode ahead. I had to find a decent place to camp.
It has to be far enough away that they don't suspect me, but not so far that I cannot track them. I also can't change my appearance.
I found one a half mile out from theirs. I made a tanning rack and constructed a storage pit in the ground. After some consideration, I set up snares further in the woods.
It's not like I can't use the meat and hide just as a hunter would. This will have to do. Hunters cross borders all the time. They make good money selling hides from home where they are considered exotic.
Finally, I banked the fire, curled up in my hide and tried to sleep. Instead of rest, I found myself tossing and turning again. Just like the night before, I felt cold and alone without Sofia pressed against me. I even missed her smell and soft snores. It was late in the night before exhaustion finally drove out the loneliness long enough for me to sleep.
I woke up vomiting to dawn's first rays of light. Wracked with the pain, weakness and shortness of breath, I was forced to take tea and food in my hide. I watched Ryker ride passed with a snarl of frustration.
I tried to struggle out of bed, but my legs quivered.
Damn it! I can't ride like this! I wouldn't be able to pull myself into the saddle even if Whisper let me! Not that the damn horse lets me on their back when I'm like this.
At least it'd be too obvious if I followed them now. A hunter wouldn't leave an area so soon.
I settled back into bed and fought thoughts of Sofia.
Sofia would just get in my way, so why do I miss the woman so much? Not only would we not go as fast and far as I do alone, but Sofia isn’t trained in stealth. We wouldn’t be able to get close.
Sofia would take care of me, yes, but it's more than that. I've had lovers take care of me before, and never felt like this when I was on the trail of my prey.
How did this become so complicated? This was supposed to be a simple contract! Go in, get laid, live in luxury, kill a drunk, collect the money and leave. Not start catching feelings for a drunkard's wife and publically adopt a child!
By dusk, I was well enough to check the traps and field dress the prey I caught. A fox and three rabbits was better than nothing.
This fox fur would make a pretty scarf for Sofia. Sofia doesn't have any silver fox furs.
Why am I thinking about that instead of selling the damn thing? Silver fox hides sell better than red ones.
I packed. When I attempted to mount Whisper, the mare bucked in protest. Sighing, I unrolled my hide and spent one more night in camp. At least she let me in the saddle when I attempted it at dawn.
This time, when I caught up to them the mercenaries pointed me out. Ryker nodded, clearly noting their concern.
They may be little more than thugs, but they're experienced warriors. I have to do this tonight, or they may come after me to deal with me on their terms.
As they set their camp, I set mine on higher ground. I tied Whisper to a tree there.
I can't have her spooking or alerting their horses. I won't have a second chance. I'll have to do it before they see who is trying to kill their meal ticket.
I set each foot down deliberately. I took pains not to disturb the leaves or step on twigs. I slowly and carefully circled their camp in the darkness. In the bursts of lightening, I watched the mercenaries patrol. Their pattern was woven together, but the time between was sufficient to allow me through.
Ryker's drunken voice echoed off the trees from the center of the camp. He ate in the light and warmth of the fire, two men sitting near him trying to eat their own supper.
"The bitch iz sleepin' wit' a cu-throat. She izn't goin' ta be alive win I git back."
He's sloshed and the sun's hardly down. Can't he keep his senses at least in the wilds?
"What do you care? She gave you a son." One of the mercenaries finally cut in. "He's healthy and strong. Best of all, I don't think he takes after you. Pretty sure he'll be a proper man. If you're so worried about him not making it, marry another one."
"Shut up!" He shouted. "Itz more than that!"
"You're drunk." The man snapped. "Go to bed."
"I AM THE ZIIR!"
“I don’t care who you are. You’re drunk. Go to bed.”
That’s going to make this harder.
Ryker staggered to his feet and started to shout and flail. I notched my arrow, aiming. The man was thrashing about so much I couldn’t guarantee a shot. Swearing under my breath, I lowered my bow. Just then the man smacked him over the head with the blunt of his blade.
Well if he kills him, at least that rids me of the man. I don't even care if I get the other half of the payment. Sofia and Vincent would be safe no matter who kills the bastard.
I shifted in place, leaning forward slightly to listen harder.
“What the fuck did you do that for?” One of the men was to Ryker in a heartbeat.
“Shit. Is the bastard still alive?”
“Yes.”
Gods, why can't we just be rid of this monster?
“If he docks our pay, it’s out of your cut.” The man who checked Ryker snapped. “Help me get him to the tent.”
“The man was going to hurt himself anyway. He was thrashing about like a fox in a fit.” The one who hit him defended. “He was getting on my nerves.”
Damn it all.
They picked the Ziir up and brought him to his tent.
I can still kill him in there.
I set my bow down, took out my daggers and waited. I timed invading the camp perfectly, slipping by the men in the shadows. I carefully made my way to the tent they'd lain him in. I froze when I saw one of the mercenaries sitting in a chair by the cot. Lantern light illuminated the room.
Seriously?
Ducking away before he saw me, I inched away from the entrance. My heart pounded so loudly I was glad they didn't have dogs.
This is suicide. I wouldn't even get close enough to kill him. I'm lucky the bastard wasn't looking at the entrance of the tent.
I shook my head.
I'll have another chance to kill the bastard. I need to leave before someone sees me.
I had to put more effort into escaping. I was nearly out when a man spotted me. Before he could raise the alarm, I leapt forward and slit his throat. I stared at the man and realized I recognized him.
Fuck my life. Bastard couldn't strike the Ziir dead, but he could find me in the dark? What am I doing wrong, Sigrid? What knowledge am I not heeding that you would poison my luck like this?
"Goddess guide me." I whispered.
I hate taking a life I don't have to. It was in self-defense, but he isn't my target. Damn it. It won't take them long to find the body.
I need to leave. Now. Before they search the woods.
I fled as quickly as I dared, packed camp and rode Whisper as fast as I could to the closest inn. I paid for two nights with cold, hard coin and refused to sing again. Both nights I woke up from an attack. The third day, I agreed to sing to keep my mind off my failure.
I've never failed this badly to kill anyone. Let alone a drunk. I'm loosing my edge to this damned disease. I think this will be my last target. I was hoping he wouldn't, but if I'm struggling to kill even Ryker, there's no way I will be successful for someone who could put up a fight on his own.
I rode with that and Sofia on my mind.
She's probably worried sick. Is Vincent okay? Does he think I've left him for good, despite the dagger I gave him? Despite the fact that I told him I care?
Finally, as I came into more familiar lands, I made a decision.
I will write that I'm coming home, before I won't make the journey alive. I don't want to come home in a casket.
Sofia will remarry a better man, who can be a good father to Vincent.
I shoved aside the pain that shot through my heart.
I will stay long enough to get rid of her current husband. It seems his drinking will be his end after all. The solstice is very close. It'd be stupid to try again before then.