12. What Kam Actually Does

Começar do início

"Right." Bel is happy they're back to a safe subject. "Your dealership and car company."

"Car restoration company," Kam corrects him.

"That's what I said."

"Adorable kid."

"Annoying jackass."

The two of them have fallen into a comfortable pattern. Every day, they argue about breakfast and then spend a couple of hours going through the files on the USB. They would spend more time on them, but Bel feels like if he did then his head would literally explode. After that, Kam takes several phone calls--apparently, he speaks Spanish, French, and English in addition to Italian and Thai-- and then disappears for a few hours, presumably to work his day job.

They had a very long and very loud argument the first time because Kam pointed out that as a bodyguard he shouldn't leave Bel alone. Bel had said that having a bodyguard was stupid and only got Kam to leave by swearing that he wouldn't leave the house while Kam was gone. Instead, while Kam is at his day job, Bel makes his reading pile shrink by a book or three.

Around three-thirty, Kam comes back, and they both change clothes--Kam doesn't wear jeans to the restaurant anymore--and eat. Sometimes Bel cooks, and sometimes Kam, but they make sure it takes no longer than half an hour, so they can be at the restaurant by quarter to five even if the traffic is heinous.

Kam has been doing all of the driving. They'd had another long and loud argument when Kam insisted on driving since Nina is paying him to be Bel's watchdog. After Bel's squall of protest at the use of the term "watchdog", Kam had said that if they took one car instead of two, it would save gas. Bel felt like an idiot for not thinking of that first, and then Kam said he wouldn't drive anything except his beloved Range Rover.

"Did you ask your sister about the pictures yet?" Kam asks now, jerking his head toward the small stack of scanned photographs they had found among the reports. They had been mostly places, or the backs of people's heads, maybe a profile or two, as though the person behind the camera had wanted to take the pictures without being seen. Bel nods.

"She says she saw them before she made my copy, and she gave them to Silo who gave them to...someone else to look at."

"Your sister is sharing resources now?" Kam's eyebrows are back up again.

"She says this is a friend of Silo's who can be trusted, and access things she can't. They went to uni together." Bel says. "Taylor or something."

"Talay," Kam looks a little bit less concerned. "He's Silo's assistant in Intelligence."

"So you know him, too."

"The three of us went to uni together." Kam nods. "If your sister has Silo and Talay looking into these files, then there's no point in us looking at them anymore. Talay will find things we can't and he'll do it faster."

"Fine," Bel has finished his eggs and put the mug and empty plate in the sink to wash later. Unless Kam gets to it first, which he usually does. "Then today, instead of looking through the files, I'm going to go get my car fixed."

And he goes out the door before Kam has a chance to say anything. He had been mad about Kam driving him everywhere until he tried to go fill up his own car and saw the check engine light flash on again. By the time he got back to the house, the car was making strange grinding noises that didn't stop until he pulled into the driveway and pulled the key out of the ignition. So he'd made sure that the car stayed in the driveway, making sure that it covered the rapidly expanding pool of whatever the hell was leaking from underneath it, and left it to worry about later. That had been a week ago.