70- Trust

About an hour later Tara, Jesus and Lydia finally made it back to Hilltop and were caught up on the situation by the others.

"The only thing we know for sure is that they're going to attack and they're going to do it fast." Maggie finished.

"I still don't understand why." Jesus sighed. "None of this makes sense, right?"

"Not really, but when did it?" Alden agreed.

"They're just like my mum." Lydia muttered. "They want everyone to live the way they do and they don't care what they have to do to any of the communities they engulf."

"I doubt that shipment was even real." Jesus insisted.

"No, it was real." Tara said. "The Commonwealth has a couple of outposts. Supplies get sent back and forth all the time. The shipment was probably on its way to Alexandria."

"It doesn't matter." Maggie sighed. "The most important fact stays the same either way; we're under attack."

"No, it does change things." Jesus shook his head. "If those guns actually exist and were stolen there might be another hostile out there."

"Can we please focus on the Commonwealth first? Nothing has even hinted at another hostile being out there." Alden said, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"What are we going to do?" Elijah asked.

"I'm afraid they won't spare the children." He stressed. "We need to get them out of here, take them to the Riverbend hideout."

"That's our best option." Maggie agreed.

All of the details were talked over before everyone set off with their separate tasks. Lydia would head back to the Riverbend hide-out immediately.

"Hershel's going to hate this." Alden sighed.

"He doesn't have a choice." Maggie replied with a shrug. "He can't stay here and fight."

"I know. He thinks differently though." He shook his head slightly. "I just hate seeing him upset."

"You softie." She chuckled.

"And that's exactly why you love him."

He unlocked the trailer door and pushed it open without announcing himself. Herschel sprung into action immediately. He freed his gun and stepped in front of his siblings. He clicked the safety off his gun only to realize that it were his parents at the other end of the barrel. He switched the safety back on and put his gun away quickly.

"Sorry." He said.

"No, this was my fault. I should've knocked." Alden apologized.

"Look, dad!" Hope cheered as she pointed to a wooden block tower. "Adam and I made it."

"That's awesome!" He shared her excitement. Then he turned serious. "But your mom and I have to tell you something."

"Come on, sit down on the couch." Maggie ushered both Hershel and Hope toward the couch. Once they were seated she began, "do you still remember when we had to leave home, when we went to the tower?" The question was more aimed at Hope than at Hershel.

She nodded. "Carl took me because the bad people were coming and there was a fire."

"There are bad people coming again and you'll have to leave again." She continued. "This time we'll pack you a bag and you can even bring some of your toys. How does that sound?"

"No, I don't want to go." She shook her head with pleading eyes. "It was so scary."

"Your big brother will be there with you this time, does that make it better?" Alden asked. She nodded and hugged her brother, but he didn't look pleased at all.