Chapter 76 - Neuvillette's Achievement

Start from the beginning

 "Meropide is quite a bit smaller than the Court. They most likely didn't want to risk falling under your radar." I nodded.

 "And removing me from my position would be one way of ensuring that they never do."

 Now we have a motive as well.

 "So, what do we do now, my dear Iudex?" He asked teasingly.

 "Now, my dear Duke, we set a trap. We leave all of this as we found it, along with a little present."

 Under his questioning gaze, tens of small water droplets appeared in the air before shooting toward the bottles and disappearing when they touched the lids.

 "This both dilutes the water without others noticing and makes it awfully obvious for a melusine's eyes. If you took this and put it in your pocket, it would look like you have a small sun in there." I explained.

 "Well, that would make sneaking them around a bit harder."

 "Hmm. And..."

 His grin slowly widened as he watched me place a recording device on a hidden corner before covering it with an illusion.

 "This will serve as a quite credible piece of evidence."

 "Pfft! Hahahahaha! Say, Neuv, Who inspired this little trick of yours?"

 Was it that obvious?

 "Miss Navia has been telling me about her investigations during our recent discussions. I find her stories quite educational."

 Humans do the most interesting things to find out what they want.

 I just simplified it a bit as I found her methods far too complicated for my taste.

 I've been sharing some of them with the girls and they too seem to find them interesting.

 "You... I really pity anyone who ever becomes your enemy, Neuv?"

 "How so?"

 "If it comes to a trial, you're simply and straightforwardly gonna throw them the recording aren't you?"

 "Correct."

 "This way of collecting evidence is so simple that it's insulting. They will probably wish to drown themselves when they find out that you put a recording device here."

 And yet you seem incredibly amused, Wrio.

 "How about we go back and look into these people now?" Wrio asked, snatching the list from my hands.

 "Shall I give you a reason to publicly do so?"

 "Huh?"

 "With the recent bombing incident, it wouldn't be all that out of the ordinary if the Chief Justice was concerned and sent you a rather forceful request to search every nook and cranny of the fortress to make sure there isn't a single explosive left."

 Contrary to my expectations, he burst out laughing once more.

 "Hahahahahaha!"

 "Wrio?"

 Did I say something wrong?

 "Neuv, I'm guessing that you're going to be spending more time on the surface to handle this matter."

 "Well, ye, of course. While I would love nothing more than to stay here with you, this matter does require my attention."

 Though, I will probably come back at the end of every day.

 "You see, Neuv... If you make such a request and then go back to the Court, your request is going to have a very different meaning."

 "Such as?"

 What other meaning can it have?

 "Everyone down here will most likely take it as you being overprotective and forcing me to make sure everything will be fine while you're away for work." He said jokingly.

 Well...

 "That isn't exactly wrong. That was one of my intentions."

 "Excuse me?"

 "I would feel considerably more reassured if I was sure that there was no immediate danger in your vicinity."

 Once again, I couldn't fathom why he was blushing. I was merely stating a simple and obvious fact.

 "W-We should go back. Lady Furina probably wants an explanation."

 "I already gave her one."

 "I-I still need to finish my work."

 "That's done as well."

 Is everything okay?

 "I- Ugh! Screw it! Let's just go! And stop saying cheesy stuff with a straight face!"

 I let him pull me along the small dirt road.

 I noticed that his ears seemed to have turned red at some point and-

 "What does 'cheesy stuff' mean exactly, Wrio? I did nothing more than express that I would worry much less if I knew you were safe and sound. And unless you wish to provoke my now, much less restricted, instincts into hiding you away somewhere that I deem safe, you will have to do so yourself."

 He stopped walking and looked back at me, now his face as red as a tomato.

 "That! Precisely that! Stop that!"

 What?

 Stop what?

 "Wrio-"

 "Shut up."

 "Wrio dear-

 "No."

 "Love, please tell me- Mph!"

 My words were silenced by a short kiss, after which he directly ran off.

  ...

 "Just what did I say to warrant such actions?"

 They weren't unwelcome, but...

 I would love to know how I achieved that.