Chapter 40 - Rumors

Wriothesely's POV

 I'm annoyed.

 ...

 It's been a day since that little broken table fiasco.

 Lady Furina left yesterday under Neuvillette's pressuring stare.

 Surprisingly, Sigewinne got scolded for lying. I thought she would get away with it.

 One thing that was good for my sanity is that Neuvillette stayed the night at Sigewinne's place because of the melusine's whining.

 Now, it was another day.

 Another peaceful day of me listening to a report of what is going on in the fortress.

 ...

 Peaceful my a*s!

 "There are quite a few rumors swirling around, Your Grace." Amalie reported, trying very hard to hold back either from bursting out in laughter or looking at Neuvillette who was once again busy with paperwork on the couch.

 Rumors, huh?

 Doesn't take a genius to figure out what those are about.

 "Short and to the point, Amalie."

 I don't want to hear anything more than absolutely necessary, but I should at least find out how far they have spiraled.

 This, however, turned out to be a horrible idea.

 "First of all, there is a rather colorful story about you sleeping with Monsieur Neuvillette. Then there is the matter of him wearing your clothes. Lastly, the inmates figured you two had quite the big argument from the fact that there was an incredibly loud noise coming from your office and Monsieur Neuvillette spent the night at Miss Sigewinne's place instead of yours, Your Grace."

 "Colorful?"

 "I assure you, Your Grace, you don't want to know."

 Nope.

 No, I don't.

 "What do you think about the rumors?"

 "Well, first of all, while I'm quite positive that the Chief Justice stayed at your place for a night, Your Grace, I strongly doubt you two... did anything intimate."

 I nodded along to her words.

 Heh.

 There is at least one sane person down here.

 Wait-

 Huh?

 From the corner of my eye, I noticed Neuvillette's hand flinching at the word 'intimate'.

 Unfortunately, I wasn't the only one to notice either.

 "Maybe I came to that conclusion too quickly. My apologies, Your Grace." Amalie corrected her words.

 No!

 Don't change your mind!

 Nothing happened!

 I have no idea why Neuvillette flinched at-

 "The act of touching a dragon's horn is extremely..."

 "It's usually only done during intercourse or other intimate activities." He spat out without looking at me.

 Now it was my turn to flinch.

 Ah...

 That...

 I really hope I didn't start blushing now or Amalie might have an even worse misunderstanding.