Epilogue + Announcement:)

Mumbo carefully lifted an old box from the spot where it had rested in the attic for what seemed like forever. Its top was covered with dust and the box itself held the faint, dingy scent of mildew. He wrinkled his nose at the old smell of wet paper.

He gently took it down the large stairs of his home, and eventually placed it down onto the desk in his office. Lifting its lid, his face was caught by the overwhelming wave of dust from inside. He sneezed at the cloud that overtook his nose.

He then began to rifle through it, his fingers moving through the box's contents. His hands gently searched through the yellowing papers and old photographs inside, before he finally stopped, his hand closing in on the desired item.

Mumbo lifted an old envelope from the box, its paper tinted a faint yellow and its corners beginning to curl slightly. His thumb carefully traced over the blood red wax seal. He felt faint tears in the back of his eyes, but they were quickly blinked back.

With a sigh, Mumbo laid the envelope down on the desk. He watched it tiredly, gaze heavy. He stared at it for a while, losing himself in the thoughts that it brought. 

He was only awakened from his thoughts when he heard the sound of his door closing shut. "Mumbo? Are you home?"

"Yeah!" Mumbo called down in reply, "Just in my office!"

After a moment, he was greeted with Grian’s head popping into the doorframe. He gave a warm smile, which was quickly returned by Mumbo. 

Grian stepped in, holding a package in his arms. Mumbo took note of it and asked, "What have you got there?"

"It's that parcel you brought to my base a few weeks ago, just after I… borrowed some of your copper," he replied, his smile melting from warm to slightly sheepish.

Grian placed the parcel on the desk before sitting down next to it. He eyed the open box, then the old envelope. He looked at them inquisitively before turning to Mumbo. "What about you, Mumbo Jumbolio," Grian asked, gesturing to the array of old items, "What's with this stuff?"

Mumbo glaced away quietly. "Oh, nothing much, just… old things," he said, his voice dropping to a mumble as he eyed the box.

Grian looked at him inquisitively. "Old things?" he pressed. Mumbo gave him a small, tired smile. "It's a story for another time."

Mumbo, gently changing the subject, commented, "You know, I completely forgot what I even gave to you."

Grian smiled and lifted the parcel eagerly. "Well then, why don't we open it!"

Mumbo watched as Grian began to open the parcel. He quickly tore through the packaging. As he pulled out its contents, his eyes widened.

A stack of copper ingots were wrapped neatly in a bundle. With it, a small note sat attached to the bundle. Grian carefully took it and read it aloud.

"Grian, sorry about the scare, here's some copper! But you have to age it in YOUR OWN BASE. Warm regards, Mumbo."

Mumbo and Grian silently looked at each other, eyes wide. After a minute, Mumbo observed, "The irony of this is incredible."

"What, you mean how if I had just opened this I wouldn't have felt the need to press further into your well-being and probably wouldn’t have discovered that you were a vampire?" Grian retorted.

"No," Mumbo replied, "The irony is that I'm out of copper."

"..."

As the two sat quietly, reevaluating their choices, Grian slowly pulled out an iron ingot. In a mere whisper, four words escaped his lips.

"You mean the iron-y?"

"Oh, for goodness sake!" Mumbo exclaimed, burying his head in his hands. Grian let out a high, joyful laugh. He wrapped Mumbo in a hug, his smile wide. Mumbo, though he would have rather eaten one of Scar's cakes than admit it, grinned, amused.

"You're not funny," Mumbo said, hiding his fanged grin behind his hand. Grian smiled and nudged him with his elbow. "You know that I am," he replied with a grin.

Mumbo sighed with a stifled grin. "Maybe you're a little funny," he mumbled. Grian smiled in victory.

The two of them laughed again, but as they did Mumbo’s eyes couldn't help but land on the envelope that sat on his desk. He felt his smile stifle a bit, his heart growing just a bit heavier.

Mumbo internally sighed.

A story for another day.

~~~

HELLO!

THE STORY IS FINALLY DONE!!!

I really enjoyed this story, and I have to admit that I have grown incredibly attached to these characters.

That being said, THIS IS THE END OF BOOK ONE. 

THAT'S RIGHT, FOLKS, THERE WILL BE ANOTHER STORY WITH THIS AU :D

The story's Sequel-Prequel Hybrid will be out soon! I have already begun work on it :D

In the meantime, I am also launching one of my BIGGEST PROJECTS EVER!!

My AU, The Lost Watched, will launch NEXT WEEK!

If you like Grian, Watchers, Angst, and a WHOLE LOTTA JUICY STORY, then PLEASE GO CHECK IT OUT!!! I would Love the support!

If you like my writing, check out my Tumblr, my Ao3, or join my Discord!

And finally, thank you so much for your support thus far! All the wonderful comments and interactions are the reason why I love writing in the first place, and I can't express how grateful I am for it all! I'm so lucky to be able to do this :)

Anyways, enough of the Author's rambles. Thank you so much for reading, and I hope you stick around for the next stories!

-Shadow :)