The Beginnings of a Conversation

Grian sat at the foot of his bed, lost in thought. All he could think about was yesterday, with Mumbo.

He had acted so strangely, almost like he wasn't himself. Grian began to worry, wondering if something was wrong.

He had been different, and Grian was curious as to why. But he also knew that maybe it would be better to leave this unsolved. After all, Mumbo would tell him if something important came up, right?

Just as Grian had thought this, he heard a knock on his door. He opened it and was greeted by Mumbo with a small parcel in his arms.

"Uhm, hi Grian," he said. Grian smiled and replied with, "Hello Mumbo!"

Mumbo looked at the ground for a moment, before handing the parcel to Grian. "I, well," he began, but before he could finish Grian gestured for him to come inside. Mumbo nodded cautiously.

They both sat at the dining table. Sunlight began to flood through Grian's windows as the sun rose above the horizon. Grian wore a small, comfortable smile. "It's a nice morning," he said.

Mumbo nodded, though Grian noticed he seemed somewhat distant, almost lost in thought. "Is everything alright, Mumbo?"

Mumbo shook his head. "No, actually, I," he paused, choosing his words carefully, "I wanted to apologize."

Grian cocked his head to the side in a confused manner. "For what?" Mumbo sighed and looked at the table.

Grian decided to buy him a little time as he composed his thoughts. "Are you hungry?" Grian asked, standing.

"Starving," Mumbo replied.

"Anything I can help you to?" he asked, rifling through his cupboards.

Mumbo shook his head. "No," he said.

"Oh?" Grian responded, "Is it something I don't have here?"

"No, I'm sure you have it here, all right."

Grian let out a little laugh and jokingly asked, "Then what's the problem, Mumbo Jumbolio?"

Mumbo began to fiddle with his tie, trying to compose his thoughts. "I guess.. it's just more of a me thing, y'know?"

Grian nodded. "Yeah, that makes sense. But really, I can get you whatever you'd like. It wouldn't be a problem."

Mumbo's eyes glanced up and down Grian's figure. "It just might be," he mumbled.

Mumbo just sat at the table quietly as Grian pulled a couple of apples from his cupboard. He grabbed a knife from the counter top and turned to Mumbo.

"Are apples alright?" Grian asked. Mumbo nodded quietly, but avoided eye contact. He instead stared down at the table, looking almost distant.

Grian carefully placed the items down on the counter before stepping towards the table. He leaned his arms onto the table and looked at Mumbo for a few seconds. "Are you sure you're alright, mate?"

Mumbo nodded again, this time looking up at Grian. "Yeah, just.. lost in thought, I suppose."

Grian nodded again, although he still looked at Mumbo with a worried expression. "You look a bit pale, Mumbo, you should really eat something." Mumbo stiffened at the comment, although not enough for Grian to notice.

Grian turned back to the counter and laid one of the apples on a cutting board. Meanwhile, Mumbo began to speak, still fiddling with his tie.

"Again, I wanted to apologize for.. how I acted yesterday," he said, burying his head in his hands, "I'm not quite sure what got into me."