Chapter 14 : Jealousy Jealousy

Comenzar desde el principio

“Oh you have come...” - Raniya commented rhetorically, a coquettish smile on face.

Mahir rolled his eyes. “No. I am standing by the door, awaiting your permission to enter.”

Sneha couldn't help and choke as a laugh bubbled up inside her. The sound caused Mahir's head to look up at her and their eyes locked. Her hands froze on the railing and she stopped in her descend. She didn't think she would ever get used to the way Mahir looked at her. It always made her heart flutter, breathing labour with a mushy feeling within.

“No I meant we were waiting for you. Actually we all cousins have decided to go sightseeing after breakfast. What do you say ?” - Raniya asked.

But he didn't respond. He was looking straight at Sneha as she resumed her descend and reached the foot of the staircase. He was angry and this time, at her. She knew that much. But what had she done to make him avert his eyes indifferently ?

“Whatever.” - he said and brush passed her to upstairs.

“Arrey he will come along, don't worry.” - Shreya said to Raniya who was looking after Mahir until he disappeared from the sight.

And Sneha was looking at her, glaring daggers.

~

Around 11, the youngsters hopped on the cars to start their day. Mahir, on Mandira's insistence, gave in and was going along. Sneha made sure to sit the exact same way like their way to club that night. But he didn't look at her through the rear-view mirror. Not even once.

The first stop was Bala Qila Fort. The majestic fort was one thousand feet above Alwar city. Laxman Pole was the only metalled road that connected  the fort to the city. Spread over an area of 5 km from North to South and 1.6 km from East to West, the fort had 6 gates, 15 large and 51 small towers. The walls were finely crafted with ancient scriptures and sculptures and the entire structure was adorned with marble columns and lattice window balconies.

But still, Sneha couldn't find it in herself to admire or appreciate the skills of the then artists. Her spirits were down because Mahir was flat out ignoring her. They were dispersed in couplets and triplets but she was walking a step behind them because the person whose company she craved was walking behind her at a distance. Annoyed to be there and looking bored out of his wits.

She slowed her pace, waiting for him to catch up with her and when he did, she tried to hold his hand. But he seemed to be already expecting that as he dodged swiftly and continued ahead.

Her chest ached.

Next they went to Company Garden, settled right in the heart of the city. With its aesthetic lawns, well-maintained gardens, and scenic vistas, it was an ideal place to get one with nature.

“You are so unromantic Kabir Bhai. I mean instead of being on the call, you should be plucking flowers and tucking them behind Bhabhi's ear.” - Disha teased, gathering everyone's attention.

Kabir put the phone down and looked at Sneha cluelessly. “But I have no idea about her choice...” - he said sheepishly earning groans from his cousins.

Sneha was hardly paying attention. The longer Mahir remained distant, the more she got restless. No scenery, no art work, mothing in the world could entice her. As the day proceeded and they visited places after places, she just got more and more desperate to have him look at her, let alone talk.

~

“...is said, whoever takes a dip in this lake, gets his one wish fulfilled...”

They were at Siliserh Lake now. Divya was continuing with her vlog. Shreya and her cousins were taking pictures of the scenic view. Drish and Rithik were with the former's cousins. Kabir was once again on call and Mahir was once again, away from everyone seated on the bank of the lake. His legs dangling and feet dipped in the water. He was aimlessly throwing stones in the quite water, making vibrations.

Sneha looked around, making sure everyone was busy, and went to sit beside Mahir, copying his position. He didn't look at her but sighed.

“When are you going to leave me alone ?” - he asked, throwing another stone in the lake.

The ache in her chest worsened at his clipped tone. “When are you going to believe that I love you ?” - she asked instead.

“Love.” - he snorted.

The pain became unbearable.

He shook his head, seemingly not wanting to argue, and tried to get up but she stopped him.

“What have I done Mahir ?” - she asked desperately, holding onto his arm.

He freed his arm from her hold easily. His face hardening further. “Stop it Sneha. Just... stop with your games! Turn your head and look behind. Your fiance is there.” - he gritted out and stood up to leave.

“Oh I was coming just to fetch you guys. We are leaving.” - Raniya said walking towards them. Her eyes fixed on Mahir.

“How sweet of you. Let's go then.” - Mahir replied, smiling.

Sneha faced the lake, her jaw setting in anger. She knew Mahir had zero interest in Raniya but just to get under her skin, he was paying attention to that girl.

‘Let's see for how long you ignore me.’ - she thought, her eyes fixing on the water and without further ado...

jumped into the lake.