🐍 Schemer of the Scalding Sands: Chapter 38 🐍

ابدأ من البداية

"Consequences?" Angel asks.

"They could not die unless them themselves are purified," they answer, shocking Angel. "I suppose, you might know what that might entail." Angel pales at the information. Two things that came to her mind: 1) that he could have purposefully caused the event all those years ago and lost his means of escape and 2) that she would have to purify himself, a thought that make her shake in fear. If he had that power, the power from the scene she kept seeing, then she wouldn't stand a chance again him. Just her being near him almost put her on death's door. "You do not have to deal with him," Mentor sternly says, bringing her out of her thoughts. "I will try to handle him."

Angel felt a bit reassured at the statement, at least feeling a little bit relieved at the information, but there was something else that came up in her mind that she wanted to ask them. "Um..." She starts. "What caused him...to be like that?"

"Just like your friends," they curtly answered, leaving Angel confused. "He experienced a betrayal unlike anything else, bringing him on the brink of destruction. I do not want you to experience that either," they said in a somber tone. "I have been seeing what you see, hearing what you hear, and even reading the thoughts you have, little one. I can tell that his words are getting to you, and I want you to know that what he is saying is wrong. I know that he was speaking from experience but, I can tell that the people around you are good, you do not need to worry," they said calmly. Angel thinks about their words. What they said are right. The people she hangs around are good people who consider her as a friend. They've done nothing but helped her during her stay here and teach her new things she never thought about before, but something been nagging at her for a while. It could be from the man from earlier or her past experiences but the weird feeling she's been having became more prominent as time goes by. The doubts that she had kept growing every day, and it's been getting harder to ignore the feeling. Would she eventually end up like that man? Would she be abandoned by the people she considered as friends? She shakes them away, trying not to think about it. After all, the more she thinks about it, the possibility of it happening might increase, at least in her mind. Mentor watches her as she thinks, and an idea came to mind. "If you would rather prefer, little one," they start, "I could help you temporarily forget what you have seen so far." The request baffles Angel as she looks at them. "Do know that I can not fully make you forget everything or the fact that it can come back to you, but it will be enough to ease your worries for the moment," they explain. "When you wake up, I will erase some of your memories, but intense experiences will cause them to resurface. What it is depends on your psyche."

"Is this why I can barely remember anything after I speak to you?" Angel says as she thinks about the idea, remembering that she had a bit of a gap of memory every time she talked to them.

"Yes," they answer. "What we discuss here could affect your actions. It's more of a safety net to make sure that you still enjoy your life here while also doing your job as a Purifier. What I can do is erase memories about certain things to help you calm down worries you might have, so any event or scene you wish to forget, I can assist with that. That is the best I can assist you with at the moment."

Angel thinks. Could it really be that easy? It's easy to forget, that's for sure, but the problem lies with after. As they said, intense emotions can cause it to resurface, but what those intense emotions are, she's not sure. Anything could happen, but what could she forget? She's already forgotten so much of her life after all. She can't even remember her own life before coming to Twisted Wonderland. Though, as Mentor said, it's temporary and can come back, giving her a peace of mind, and the thought does seem appealing. It might actually help her clear out some of the feelings of doubt in her mind. She looks at Mentor, answer in mind. "I...would like to take the offer," she hesitantly says, and Mentor nods at her.

"What would you like to erase then?" They ask and Angel sadly looks at them. They nod at her look. "I understand, little one."

Angel looks down at the water, staring at her reflection as her vision starts to fade and her surroundings start to become foggy. She glances at Mentor as they look at her, eyes closed through the mask as she slowly starts to see black overtaking her vision. Whatever memory she will lose, maybe it will be for the best for her. I suppose...only time will tell She thinks as she closes her eyes, making her fall into the void.

A/N: Sorry about this chapter guys I was in a rush to finish it for the release today but I've been working on this chapter for the past week and half and just rushed the ending of this chapter because I got frustrated and distracted by it (games take up my time!). Anyway, only got about 4 more chapters to write before the end of book 4 then it'll be a hiatus to write side stories and to spend the holidays with my family. Thanks for understand long everyone! (11/8/23)