⌠Chapter 8⌡

Chapter 8

The following week I made sure to spend tons of time with my family - so much that they'd get sick of me! They actually did, no joke. They sent me to the beach on Saturday, and on that day at the beach, I was glad I had gotten sent there. 

Natalie had just shown me how to turn on a wave and I was about to try it out. Steadying myself on the board, all of a sudden I heard Liam's voice again. I turned around and sure enough, he was there. He was complaining about something Natalie had done wrong again. 

"Liam, if you're not going to help us surf, then just leave!" I yelled loud enough so he could hear me. He jogged all the way over to us and spoke again. 

 "Maybe I will help you," he said. 

"Then do it. Get a surfboard and show us how to do that trick properly."

"Fine." He walked away to some random person with a nice looking surfboard. He said something and the guy looked pretty frightened. He gave Liam his surfboard and he jogged back over to us. 

"Did you just jack that guy's surfboard?" I asked appalled. 

"Did you want me to show you or not?" he snapped. 

"Yes master," I said sarcastically. He just glared at me. 

He walked up to the ocean and I started getting nervous. Had he really not surfed for over a year? If he did have a surfing accident, could he still surf or would he embarrass himself in front of the beach full of people?

"Liam, wait," I said. "You don't have to."

I'm not sure why I said it but I felt I had to. I had a feeling there was something really important that had to do with the 'accident' that happened a year ago and I didn't want to push him.

I was still a bit miffed at him for our last argument, though. I thought he had wanted nothing to do with me! I had stayed away from him at school and everything; I had gotten rides from Peter. Geez, that boy and his mood swings. Even though I was still mad I guess I still didn't want him to have some sort of mental breakdown because of me. I'd had plenty of those, they were awful. 

Liam surprised me though. He didn't say anything, just muttered something and dropped the board into the water. That motion had a whole swarm of people crowding around that area of the water. He seemed oblivious to what was going on though. He laid on the board and paddled out. That sent the crowd murmuring amongst themselves about if he was actually going to surf again. 

Natalie just stood there with her mouth open and I stood kind of baffled as well. I didn't think he actually would. This was making real progress!

But low and behold, he swam out and caught a wave. He did a simple turn and swam back. He snapped out of his daze and then glared at the audience who all looked like they were about to faint. 

"What are you looking at!" he snapped. 

They all quickly looked away and dispersed. 

"Natalie, go away, nobody needs you here anymore," he growled. Natalie snapped out of her daze and obliged without further ado. 

"So you'll teach me how to surf?" I asked him. 

"Sure," he answered. "Just no funny business, no asking about any of the rumors going around, nothing."

"Agreed." I stuck my hand out for him to shake. He ignored it, rolled his eyes and went back to the water. 

 If he was going to be like this the whole time, I don't know how I'm going to do this. 

The lesson actually went pretty well. He's really good at surfing; well that's kinda a given since I heard about all his trophies, but still. I learned a ton more with him than Natalie. Me and her will just have to do something else.

I't's kind of crazy how quickly we became friends. I wasn't really looking for friends here but we clicked instantly. She wasn't a shy person, and I wasn't either and I guess that's part of why we got along so quickly.

I unlocked the door and was about to scream to the rest of the house that I was home when Peter shushed me.

"What?"

"Mom's not feeling well," he said.

"What happened?" I asked quickly.

"She has a migraine," he explained.

"Oh," I whispered dejectedly. That wasn't good. The doctor said the farther along the cancer got, the worse she'd be feeling. A migraine is like the holy grail of all of the "not feeling well" categories. 

"Yeah, so just take it easy. How was surfing?" He asked trying to change the subject. 

"Fine." I tried to smile but it didn't work. I quickly walked up the stairs to my room and shut my door. 

This was all becoming more and more real to me and I hated it. 

Authors Note

Sorry this took ages for me to upload, it's short and isn't very good so I'll work really hard on the next chapter, I promise! 

Vote if it wasn't completely awful. 

Comment your suggestions. 

Thanks :D