Chapter 3: Days Gone By

After Glenn left, Rick was quick to wrap his arm around my shoulder and show me around the farm. He told me about the people who owned it the place, how they came across it, as well as telling me all about his group.

There were quite a few people to remember, but I always was good with names, especially since it was a skill required for my job before all this...

The owner of this farm was Hershel. Hershel Greene and his family, hence why this place is called Greene's Farm. He was an old man with long white hair and a matching bushy beard. As for those that stayed with him in the farmhouse, they were his family, or close family friends.

He had two daughters, Maggie and Beth. Maggie was the oldest and had brunette hair, whereas Beth was the youngest and had blonde hair.

Rick actually went on for quite a while about the family, making sure to warn me to behave as we were their guests. He also made a big point that, for now, this stay wasn't permanent, but he was working on convincing the family otherwise, so I wasn't to get on their bad side.

Aside from that, he didn't seem to have too much to say about the family, just that they were kind and sticked to themselves, though, they weren't fond of strangers.

The only one Rick had anything to say about was Maggie, Hershel's oldest daughter. Though she too was wary of strangers, she was a little more accepting of the group and had been helping Glenn out on a few local runs, as well as scouting for Sofia.

He noted I should get on well with her, as I might have a better time at trying to convince her to convince her dad for us to stay. He also thought it would just be a good thing for me to make friends...

It got me wondering exactly what kind of person Maggie was, to interest my brother so much, or at least, what made him think I should get on with her.

The main family aside, only two others stayed with the Greene's, who weren't family. A blonde woman named Patricia and a young boy called Jimmy. They weren't part of the family, but were close with them. Jimmy was Beth's boyfriend, and Patricia was a close family friend.

Rick informed me that there used to be a third, Patricia's husband, Otis, but he died on a run to save Carl. Figured since he was the one to accidentally shoot him he should make up for it by volunteering...

I almost had a heart attack when Rick first told me about Carl, I almost dropped everything to run and find him then and there, but he assured me he was alive and recovering well, and that I'd see him at dinner.

As for the rest of the group, Rick's people, it was much larger and filled with a variety of different people.

It wasn't too much of a suprise when Rick told me he was the leader, or at least, the one who ran things. He always did naturally fall into such roles, especially as a cop...a sheriff's deputy at that.

I guess I should consider myself lucky he was the leader here, it made joining less of a hassle...

He told me Lori was fine and well, along with Carl, and that Shane had originally found the two of them at the beginning and kept them safe. I was grateful to hear it, but...it did make me wonder...

Why wasn't he with them at the beginning? Had something happened? Why were they with Shane?

I had a lot of questions, but, I decided to leave it for now. I hadn't seen Rick in a long time and I didn't need to interrogate him, now least of all. I'll ask once I've settled in.

Speaking of questions, of course there was Rick's closest friend, Shane. The bald guy who was very adamant about shoving a gun into my face...and the guy I had known practically all my life. He was essentially like another older brother...except, maybe one you hated.