Introduction: Pinky Promise

A/N: If you're re-reading this it's because I'm editing it to change a few things, but major things. (If that makes sense?)

For those of you who may come from 'Secrets Untold' this is going to be a rewrite of it, but better! (Hopefully) 😂

Anyway! Enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------

I sighed and took a break from carving my spear as I looked to the sky. Despite it being fall now, it was still annoyingly hot out, that, or it was the bunch of dead I had just killed that tired me out.

I looked to the floor, scanning over the small pile of dead bodies as I sharpened my spear, well, long wood stake, but, calling it a spear sounds way better, and a little more fun.

I learnt a few things whilst being out here alone. One; that it was best to keep quiet. The dead were attracted to sound, no matter how quiet or loud. Two; they were attracted to smell. Covering yourself in their guts essentially made you invisible. Three; Don't get bit. And the most important, number four; the living were much more dangerous than the dead. Then again, I already know that from experience...the end of the world didn't really change that one...

I finished carving and stood from the log I was sat on, then checked the dead for anything useful. Naturally, most of them didn't really have anything, but it never hurt to look.

I managed to find a lighter, shoelaces, a chain and a small manicure kit. Though each item was only small, and perhaps not valuable, they each had their own uses to me. Though, admittedly, it wasn't anything useful that I was after...

I'd been searching for someone ever since the outbreak, my older brother, and I still hadn't had any luck. No clues. No trails. No nothing. I didn't even know for sure if he actually was alive, but...I had a feeling. A feeling in my bones. Deep down, something told me he was out there, somewhere, and my gut was never wrong. So I chose to believe it. Trust in it.

We hadn't spoken in a year or so...after a...disagreement...that we had. We very rarely agreed with eachother, but...we still loved eachother. He was still family.

I used to hate him for the stupidest things. And when he stopped talking to me a year ago...I thought "good riddance". "I don't need you".

Yet now everyone is gone...now everyone is so far away...I miss him.

And it's only now I realise how stupid our fights really were.

He was the only person I trusted...and now he was gone. I didn't even know where, or if he was alive at all.

That just made it hurt even more.

As for why I searched the dead...I wasn't entirely sure...
I guess I just hoped that, somehow, someway, the dead would've had a clue for me. Though, I knew that was unlikely. My brother was smart, strong too. He wouldn't get caught by something so slow.

In truth...I didn't even know why I was looking at all. I doubt that, even if I did find him, that he'd want to see me.

Maybe I was just lonely, or...maybe it's true about what they say...

"You don't know what you have until it's gone."

I took a breath and shook my head to clear my mind, but just as I stood from the walkers, a loud scream pierced the air. It sounded quite close too...

I bit my lip and thought for a moment.

I was reluctant to get myself involved with others, however, I can't just leave someone to die. At the very least, I can try and check it out, right? I mean, it's what I should do...