Chapter 2: Greene's Farm

Sofia woke up just after the sun had rose from the woods. She had slept suprisingly well throughout the night, considering she was too scared to fall asleep. I suppose singing to her helped ease her mind a little, along with the thoughts of finally finding her mother.

Whilst Sofia had breakfast I decided to check around the nearby cars for anything useful before we left. That, and I also wanted to see if any of these vehicles worked, but, naturally, they either had flat batteries, or no fuel. I'm guessing Sofia's group had taken it all before leaving...

We'd have to walk to the farm on foot then...yay...

After I checked around, and killed a couple walkers whilst I was at it, I took what was useful, then collected Sofia and started the trek to the Greene's farm.

It wasn't far, but without a car the journey would certainly take longer than I'd like it to, perhaps around an hour or two? And that's depending on if we run into any walkers or not.

Since Sofia's ankle was a little better, I let her walk for a while whilst I ate a quick breakfast bar on the way.

I managed to find a little backpack for her to put her things in before we left, which she gratefully took and filled with all sorts of things.

We both walked slow due to Sofia's ankle, but it was best to move slow anyway. It gave me a better chance to scan our surroundings and scout out the farm we were looking for.

As we travelled back along the highway, looking for the vering road leading to the town the farm was near, Sofia and I played a few games, just like we had before.

She was a pretty talkative kid, much to my dismay. I wasn't really one to talk much, but, I suppose I didn't mind her, considering she was a kid and all. I couldn't just ignore her, and I did find myself having at least a little fun.

Sofia waddled by my side, a small pout on her face, causing me to raise a brow and look to her.
"Bored, kiddo? I'm sure we'll be there soon enough."
She shook her head.
"Nooo, it's not that..."
"Then why the long face? We'll find your group soon, hopefully."
She pouted.
"I know, but I lost my doll."
She looked to me.
"You know, the one I had when I met you?"
I hummed.
"Is it important to you?"
She nodded.
"My mom gave it to me..."
I sighed and patted her head.
"When did you lose it?"
She poked her fingers together.
"I don't know...a few days ago...I think."
I hummed in thought.
"You probably dropped it in the woods then."
I gave her a small, comforting smile.
"Don't worry, maybe we can find it on the way to the farm. We'll need to pass through the woods again anyway."
Her eyes lit up a little.
"Do you really think we can find it?"
I shrugged.
"Never say never, kiddo."
I gave her a more serious look.
"But no getting lost looking for it. We can search, but we're not straying from the path to the farm. Finding your group is more important, alright?"
She nodded.
"Okay..."
I patted her head.
"Don't worry, kiddo. If we can't find it, we'll just find you a new doll. A better one."
She looked up to me.
"Do you think we could?"
"I don't see why not. I'm sure we can find a toy store somewhere."
Her eyes lit up a little.
"Do you think we could find a unicorn doll?"
A small smile tugged at my lips.
"I'm sure we can, kiddo."

We spent the rest of our journey talking about what toys would be left behind in the toy stores, and if we found one, what we'd do.

Sofia was very keen on the idea of having a slumber party in a toy store. She said she'd use all the play tea sets to sit, eat and have picnics and she'd use all the soft, cuddly plushies as a bed in some fairy houses.