08: Christmas with everyone

Start from the beginning

"What?" I asked.

"I was just thinking you look awfully healthy for someone who can't cook," Lisa said.

"So? What's the problem? Well, you see, Lisa, I have my own reasons for that," I commented.

"Huh, well, don't you want to know about them, too, Jennie?"

"I'll get her to spill later."

"I'm not telling you a thing."

I glared at Jennie as if to tell her not to make promises she couldn't keep, and she laughed out loud, in a forced way. Jennie knew when to let things go, but she had a bad habit of dredging up old stuff at rather inopportune times.

"You guys are a real handful..." I muttered. "Well, for dinner, can't we get takeout or something? We'll have to order the cake if we want one." Attempting to move away from my own affairs that the couple seemed so eager to pry into, I made a pragmatic proposal.

There was no way I could make a cake or prepare a meal on my own, so arranging for ready-made food seemed to be the way to go.

"Ah, all right then, let's have pizza! I'll book a cake from my usual place; they're still taking orders!" Lisa declared.

"You don't want chicken?" asked Jennie. "You like pizza better, too, don't you, Lisa?"

"True, true."

"That's my Lisa"

"You know me best."

"Eh heh heh..."

While the two lovebirds had decided on what to get without discussing it at all with me, I was fine with pizza. Something like that made it feel more like a party anyway. Given the way things were going, they would probably pick up some takeaway pizzas from the shop that I and Jennie often visited.

The moment I heard the word pizza, I thought of Rosé-and when she'd nibbled her pizza like a small animal. I had found it strangely charming, probably because I usually saw her eating so elegantly. Come to think of it, I'd gotten Rosé to eat cake the other day, too. My cheeks glowed warmly as I remembered that.

I won't do anything like that again, I vowed to myself.

It'd been so embarrassing to feed each other - there was no way I could endure a repeat of that. Rosé and I weren't some affectionate couple like Jennie and Lisa, so the opportunity should never come up again anyway.

"..Hey, Y/N, what's up?"

"Oh, no, nothing."

"All right, we'll leave the cake order up to you."

I had drifted back into some embarrassing memories for a moment, and Lisa had started staring at me with a concerned expression, puzzled. Panicking, I chased the flustering thoughts from my head and did my best to be casual.

"All right! Let's get our pizza order in, too!" I said, a bit more worked up than usual.

-

With Lisa's excitable voice still ringing in my ears, I returned home and decided to ask Rosé about her Christmas plans.

"Christmas plans? I don't really have any," Rosé replied quickly from her place on the sofa. I had posed the question after finishing the dishes and joining her in the living room. I had been confident Rosé would be going to a girls' party, but apparently, she didn't have anything lined up. Maybe my surprise showed because Rosé made an annoyed face at me.

"Basically, all the girls I know and most of my female classmates have boyfriends to go out with. And I always turn down all the boys who invite me out, so my schedule is totally open," she explained.