~16~

-Elijah POV-

I haven't let Lilith out of my site since my small realization that someone we trust might have been behind her poisoning. She had been making fun of me for it in the beginning but then she started warming up to my presence all the time, and leaning into my touch when I nudge her shoulder or something similar.

Being around Lilith at all times meant be aware of my surroundings and who is looking at us at all times. I feel this possessive energy go through me whenever I'm around Lilith especially when we are around big crowds of people.

"So have you seen the costume contest posters around the halls? I was thinking of entering." Lilith speaks as we are walking to lunch, I looked towards her confused. "I mean ya but it's another thing that McGonagall is adding to make the school year more bearable and to have things to look forward to."

She rolled her eyes as she said, "I know that but in the muggle world these are very popular, and though I am a pureblood my parents let me have muggle friends and go to their costume contests and even participate. It was quite fun and I would like to be in the first ever costume contest at Hogwarts."

She had a small smile as she talked about her muggle friends and their time together. It only made me wonder what my childhood would have been like if we had known each other sooner. Would I have convinced my parents that muggles aren't dirt under our shoes? Would we have been friends? Would she like me as much as I do her?

I must have spaced out because when I came back to our conversation we were already at our seats in the great hall. "Hey Elijah you ok? You went quiet for a while." She asked me as we sat at her house table.

"Oh ya I'm fine. Just thinking about the contest and what I might wear. Maybe we could match." She scoffed and rolled her eyes at my last comment. "I'm not telling you what I'm going to be. It's going to have to be a surprise." 

"Oh hoho a surprise for me?" She rolled her eyes at me, "Not just for YOU its for everyone"

"Even your friends? I'm surprised you can keep a secret like this from them." I saw the slightest shift in her facial expression as I said 'like this'... we were both thinking of the same thing.