The Vertress Conference - Part II

Virgil, Bianca, and Cameron had also won their battles against Ultimo, Mikael, and Kendrick, respectively, advancing them to the second round with Ash. The next day, the main event of the Vertress Conference began, with competitors now proceeding to two-on-two battles. Ash easily won his battle with the aid of Astrape, there had been no need to use another pokemon. Stephan and Virgirl also advanced on their rounds. At the moment, we were all at the stadium cheering for Bianca and Cameron, who were facing each other. The one who wins will be joining the Top 32.

Cameron stood there, deliberating between his pokemon choices, his face betraying his nervousness. He eventually smacked himself with his headband in an attempt to gain clarity. After this, he made his decision and released his Samurott onto the battlefield. In response, Bianca confidently called forth her Escavalier.

The battle commenced with a Hydro Cannon from Samurott, but Escavalier's swift evasions allowed it to prepare its Iron Defense. Samurott, showing determination, tried another Hydro Cannon, but Escavalier mirrored its actions once more. The back-and-forth continued as Samurott attempted a Razor Shell, only for Escavalier to dodge and reinforce its defense.

Observing the battle, Ash commented, "She can't keep on doing this. You can't win on defense alone... unless you are trying to use your opponent's moves against them. But her defense is quite passive."

Cilan whispered to Delia with a sly grin, "Why am I not surprised that Ash has a way of winning battles just by being on defense?"

Delia chuckled at the remark, understanding their playful banter. Meanwhile, Bianca shifted her strategy, calling for Escavalier to attack with a Fury Attack. This change to an offensive approach surprised Cameron and Samurott. However, Samurott showed its defensive prowess by countering with a well-timed Razor Shell, landing a significant blow but not enough to incapacitate Escavalier.

Cameron, realizing the limitations of a defense-based strategy, began smacking himself with his headband once again to inspire an idea. Drayden-sensei, observing the battle, explained to those around him, "He finally realized it," as Cameron directed Samurott to execute a double Razor Shell.

Confused, Delia asked, "Realized what?"

Cilan explained, "Even the strongest defense is susceptible to internal damage." As the battle unfolded, Escavalier dodged the first Razor Shell but took a direct hit from the second, causing visible discomfort. After a short struggle, despite its maximized defense, Escavalier eventually fainted.

Cameron, grateful for Samurott's performance, recalled his pokemon. "Great job, Samurott! You broke through a tough barrier incredibly!"

To everyone's surprise, Bianca sent out her Emboar as her next pokemon, signaling her desire to turn the battle around. Samurott opened the engagement with Aqua Jet and Hydro Cannon combinations, landing direct hits and significantly weakening Emboar. However, in a strategic twist, Bianca cleverly used Attract, which rendered Samurott infatuated.

Now, with the upper hand, Bianca directed Emboar to execute a combination of Arm Thrust and Hammer Arm, both moves connecting and ultimately defeating Samurott despite its type advantage. Ash, Cilan, and others watched in astonishment as Bianca orchestrated a comeback.

Ash mumbled, "Attract, one of the most feared moves. For some reason, we never expect a male pokemon to use it, which has us all fall for it."

Cameron withdrew Samurott and chose Riolu as his second Pokémon. The prospect of seeing Riolu in battle thrilled Ash, as Lucario's presence conveyed.

Bianca looked slightly conflicted but ultimately resolute. Her choice to battle with such an adorable Pokémon as Riolu was met with surprise from the onlookers. However, they were about to learn not to underestimate the power of Riolu, which was known for its potential.