3

"So about Christmas..." Taehyung started. "Are we still on that chill night plan?"

The plan consisted of them spending Christmas at his house, getting drinks and snacks and playing around. Once they were drunk enough, they would either have deep conversations or go outside and do the dumbest things possible.
New Year's Eve was supposed to be the party night.

While this "celebration" was not far from a simple hangout, it was something they valued.

"Yeah," confirmed Jungkook. "My parents said they found some old board games in the attic last month. I could bring one or two over." he thought out loud.

Taehyung nodded. "These guys from school are so annoying. They kept insisting that I go to a party with them." he complained as he plopped on the ground, leaning back on the bedside.

Jungkook had seen their interactions. Those guys were almost begging Taehyung to go with them. They promised drugs, free drinks, anything he wanted. But Taehyung blatantly refused and ignored them.

"I mean you can go if you want..." the younger trailed off. "They said there would be free stuff, and pretty girls," he chuckled at the last part. At every party they went, they would see the same girls they would see at school. In a way, it was nothing new.

He had meant it as a joke, but Taehyung looked at him as if he was crazy. "No fucking way I would do that. Ever. We've never done anything else on Christmas. I don't want that to change." his voice was fierce, but as he looked at the other, he lowered his head. "Unless you want to..."

"Nah" Jungkook quickly reassured him. He was surprised and touched at the older's devotion to their tradition. He smiled. "We are going to party on New Year's anyway, why so persistent for this one too?"

"Well, we do know how to have fun at parties."

Jungkook's nose crinckled. They knew how to have fun, but only when it was both of them. Every time one of them would go to an event alone they would complain to the other about how boring it was. Personally, he liked the 'before the party' process. He liked joking around with Taehyung while figuring out what clothes to wear to the events. They would videocall and get changed in front of the phone.

Taehyung wouldn't even bother turning away from the camera. It was quite a sight—

The younger coughed now, feeling something unwelcome in his throat (and chest, but what does that matter?). Taehyung's smile faded quickly and he went closer to him.
"I'm going to kill you if you get sick before Christmas, I'm telling you." he had probably meant to sound threatening, but judging by his eyes surveying Jungkook, it was the opposite.

"Not a chance. You are coming with me," the younger laughed then mused: "In sickness and in health, til death do us part—" He broke off laughing when the other did the same. Taehyung ended up sitting next to him on the ground, their shaking shoulders glued to each other.

"Poor woman who's gonna have to hear that from you," Taehyung teased, looking at him.

Jungkook's smile froze. All he managed to reply was a small "Yeah". He was shocked to find out that he hadn't thought about it at all. To him, the future looked just like the present, but with grown-up versions of him and his best friend. Any other people added were faceless, as he could hardly imagine something that he'd never experienced.

He turned to his best friend, attempting to imagine him with a beautiful woman who deserved him. Upon moving his head, the words and thoughts left him immediately. They were face to face; Taehyung's eyes were unreadable.

Silence filled the room and they were only accompanied by their shallow breaths. Jungkook's heart was racing, but he did not know why. Frankly, he couldn't even be bothered to think about it at the moment.
He was in a daze. He didn't even know what that word meant, but he believed it fit the situation since it came so naturally. He almost failed literature last year.

Taehyung broke the 'daze' or whatever by turning away to yawn. The younger took a deep breath to calm his weird heart. A small thought stemmed in his head telling him to take medication for heart palpitations later. Other thoughts were ignored, for safety and peace of mind.

"Oh, right! Do you want beer or wine on Christmas? I mean I got both, you know that, but your tolerance..." he trailed off.

"Both." Jungkook confirmed. "Both is good." Taehyung raised his eyebrows at him so he added "I don't have such a low tolerance. That's embarrassing."

"Yeah like one can control that." Taehyung said softly. If Jungkook didn't know him, he'd have said it sounded endearing, like he was talking to a child who just looked like Jungkook.
"Ok then, no crying about headaches later. I don't got time to take care of both of us."

"Just take care of me. You can bear it."

"You shit—" the older cursed him.

Jungkook ended up staying for dinner, chatting with Taehyung's parents. Everything felt right. The two boys having a fight with their legs under the table while Jungkook tried his best to not laugh while talking to the Kims, the delicious food.

Taehyung stopped and suddenly took a different approach. Jungkook felt a leg slowly slide up his calf and he almost dropped his fork. He glared at his best friend over the table, but the other kept a straight face, the ghost of a smirk present.

By the time Jungkook started to feel lightheaded in the wrong head the dinner was over, which saved him the trouble of acknowledging what was just about to happen. He hugged Taehyung's mom, shook the dad's hand and rushed out.

The cold slapped him right in the face. But as soon as he inhaled the chilly air, he realized he needed that breath of fresh air.