1

Taehyung and Jungkook had been friends for as long as they could remember. They joined and left many friendgroups, but they never left each other. They did everything together, from failing the same subject in school to sharing a girl in bed(that's a probability they both agreed on). Not that it was about the girl, contrary to what they would say.

The point is this: awkwardness was as strange a thought to them as them disagreeing on something.

But something in the air had changed recently. Jungkook was the first one to feel it. It was a mistake on his part, he thought.

They were taking the bus home some time in december. The bus was old, with no air conditioning, and dirty all over. But that's how it had always been, hence why they were trying to get used to the cold that was pretty much the same as the outside. Taehyung sat next to the window, his puffs of breath fogging the window.

"Dude, I'm freezing." he said, hugging himself. "Come closer, just help me warm up, I don't know." He cursed under his breath, mumbling something about the one time he did not dress warmly enough and catching a cold.

Jungkook looked at him indifferently. "The hell? I'm also cold. You can bear with it til we get to our stop." he argued, which earned him a glare from the shivering boy. He sighed, taking off his beanie and placing it on Taehyung's head. He then checked his backpack and tossed a pair of gloves at him. He could not remember for sure if he put that extra pair for himself or for Taehyung, but they came out handy in the end.

His best friend put them on, muttering a small 'thanks' while smirking. They both knew Jungkook would end up helping him. He was the 'good one' of them, more good-natured than a man should be. He could not change that about himself, even though he was not proud of it.

"I remember telling you it's cold as shit outside this morning." he complained now.

"Boo hoo, Mom. I'm not gonna listen to you." Taehyung mocked him and they laughed. Jungkook could only reply that he knew.

There it was. As the silence settled in, the only sound being the bus rolling on uneven ground, Jungkook and Taehyung bumped shoulders every second. Inevitable, as they were sitting closely to each other, like usual. Jungkook looked at his best friend's side profile, who was staring outside through the window. The small fog on the window formed by the shallow breaths on it kept disappearing and reappearing as his chest was rising slightly. The view of the boy wearing his beanie, leaning his head on the hand with Jungkook's glove, was endearing.

Their friendship had come a long way.

There it was. If Jungkook hadn't done what he did in the next 5 seconds, maybe nothing would have changed. Or that's how he wanted to think of it. He simply stared at Taehyung a moment too long. From his hair sticking out from the beanie, to his chapped parted lips and sharp jawline.

"Stay still," he said and, while the other tensed for a second, he obeyed, no questions asked. The younger pulled up his phone and the sound was loud and clear when he took the pictures.

Taehyung frowned and turned to him. "Why did you take a picture of me?"

"It looked nice. Here!" he showed the picture.

"I look so cringe, like the thinker or some guy with deep thoughts." Taehyung dismissed it with a wave of his hand.  "You could've mentioned you wanted to take a photo. I would've done something funny or a cool pose."

"Chill, bro, it ain't that deep." Jungkook said while putting his phone back. He asked himself the same thing. Why did he take a picture? They would often laugh at people trying to be "aesthetic" and what not. Now that one of them did it, they were not sure how to go about it.

Luckily, they didn't have to think about it. The bus reached their station and the boys got off. The first house was Jungkook's, followed by Taehyung's, 5 houses down the street, so the younger was the first to leave.

"Here" Taehyung started taking off the beanie and gloves.

"Oh you don't have to-"

"You know what our parents said about us exchanging clothes and stuff. I'm just not in the mood for being told off again." he shrugged. "See you!" and with a pat on the shoulder, he left in a hurry, before the cold got to him again.

Jungkook looked after him for a bit, snickering when the other started hugging himself and hunching his shoulders again due to the cold.

That night, the younger laid in bed on his back, holding his phone up over his head, while checking the memes Taehyung had sent him.

Taehyung🤙

i just remembered that time i managed to blow smoke from ym cig through my ears

if u still got that pic send it when u find it

it was mad funny, i should do it again lol

Jungkook chuckled at the memory. He entered the gallery app to check for the picture, but the first thing he saw were the pictures he took today on the bus. He clicked on one of them like he was compelled to.

Something about it had him in a daze,  staring at every detail. He had always considered Taehyung was handsome, just never said it to his face, since it would be weird. Everyone thought like that about their friends, after all. They just don't have to talk about it or mention it. Right?

His finger grazed over the screen as he outlined the side profile of the boy. A message from said boy suddenly popped up on top of the screen and the phone buzzed. In his surprise, Jungkook dropped his phone on his face with a yelp.

The phone hit as hard as the realization of what he had been doing for the past few minutes. What was wrong with him?