Chapter 5

Lucy screamed as I leaped down in front of her, coming to a screeching halt against the snow, "I hope you have been good for there is someone here to meet you!" There was a collective sigh from the group, most likely from seeing me alive, as they began to move out of hiding. Father Christmas was chuckling happily as I lead them to meet him. Lucy eyes lit up and she gasped, grinning wildly when she saw him. Peter looked to me in disbelief and we both shared a contagious grin.

~~~~

Lucy received a small knife and bottle of Fire Flower juice, which could heal any injury. Susan, although hesitant, accepted a beautiful set of bow and arrows, and a magic horn which would always bring her help when blown. Peter received a magnificent sword and shield, ones befitting a High King. I thought the gifts would end there, and that we would part ways and travel on, but I was wrong. There was still a gift to be given.

"And finally to you, Analeigh," he turned to me, a sad smile forming across his old weathered features, "I present you with this." Smiling, I stepped forward slowly as he turned around and pulled something out of the bag. He sighed loudly, a sorrowful sound full of pity. I suddenly grew worried, feeling a chill creep its way up my spine. When I glanced at the siblings, I was greeted by anxious expressions. I looked to Father Christmas and saw something glint in his hands. He turned around revealing what he was holding, a small vial.

**see picture above** He placed it in my hand while saying, " This, my dear one, is the Elixir of Magnolia, also known as the Cure for a Broken Heart. You must only use it in a time where there is no escape...only when the pain is unbearable...only when you want to die." My heart stopped beating and my breath caught. Everything seemed to be in slow motion. I didn't understand! A broken heart? Who would break it? How could the purpose of something so beautiful, so delicate, be so horrible?Tears gathered in my eyes as we stared at each other. What was I supposed to say? Thank you? I have been wanting this since forever? No. I simply nodded. Stepping back, I felt everyone's gaze on me and I couldn't bring myself to meet anyone's gaze. I heard Father Christmas speaking but it fell on closed hears, and before I knew it, he was riding away in his sleigh.

I was numb and weak so it took me awhile to realize there was a warm hand on my arm, "Analeigh... are you alright?" He sounded so sympathetic and caring. I looked up into his face, his handsome, glowing face, and suddenly felt relieved by his kindness. I forced a smile, which took almost all my energy and nodded, "Yes. I am fine. We should keep moving though.." I trailed off as I began walking past all of them. "Why must we move so soon?" whined Susan in an annoyed voice. I stopped walking and turned, seeing them all stare at me in pity.

"Did you not here him? He said winter was almost over...and you know what that means?" They all stared blankly, "No more ice."