Before

"Analeigh!" a woman called, standing impatiently at the bottom of the grand staircase. Her gazed trailed from the left balcony, and then to the right, as she tried to focus on her daughter's approaching laughter. The railing was a beautiful cherry-black wood, carved with intricate designs. Like everything in the house. A little girl around five years of age appeared at the right doorway. With her big green eyes, tangled blonde hair, and pink apple cheeks, she hopped down the stairs and jumped into her mother's awaiting arms. Her smile was huge, showing all of her tiny square baby teeth. Chuckling, her mother hoisted her on her hip and spun her around exclaiming, "There you are! Now, darling, go say goodbye to your uncle. We must be heading home now." She set Analeigh on the floor gently, only bending over slightly due to her aching back. She had huge bags under her eyes.

"But mama!" the little girl protested, "Please can we play hide and seek! Just one more time!" She gazed up at her mother with hopeful eyes, her hands together, and standing on her tiptoes. They really needed to be home; a storm was coming. But, as she gazed at her daughter and her glazed blue eyes, she melted.

"Oh, alright! But only one more game!" she smiled. Analeigh burst into a fit of giggles and smiled widely, hugging her mother's legs with her thin arms. She quickly back up the stairs, as her mother began counting. She ran as fast as her chubby-toddler  legs could carry her. Her Mary Jane's clunked against the wooden floor. They came to a sudden stop outside her uncle's study. His door was open as he sat behind his desk, reading his newspaper.

He smiled at her with his pipe in his mouth, "Hello, sweet Analeigh! Where are you off to, my dear?" She snickered and quickly replied in a not-so-quiet-whisper, "Me and mama are playing hide and seek! I have to hide!" Her uncle smiled warmly and said, "Well then! You must be off! You wouldn't want to get caught now, would you?" She shook her head vigorously. He smiled again, "Go on, my dear! But stay out of trouble!" She smiled, and ran from the room, Mary Jane's clunking.

She ran to the first room she saw, opening the door quickly, and shutting it with a bang! She whipped around and gasped, as she saw something huge covered in a white sheet. She hesitantly walked towards it. The room was suddenly cold, and she crossed her arms, holding them close to her body. Her small knit sweater did nothing to provide warmth.  Holding out her small hand, she touched the fabric gently. What was under there? She pulled, and nothing happen. Frustrated, she grabbed with both hands and pulled as hard as she could. The sheet slipped to the ground, along with Analeigh, with a thud. She quickly stood up and gazed in awe at a beautiful wardrobe. The dark wood had strange carvings of trees.

"Thirty! Ready or not! Here I come!" she heard her mother call as she ascended up the stairs. Analeigh gasped and looked where to hide. She saw the knob of the wardrobe and turned it, looking inside. Only fur coats. Nothing to be scared of. Climbing inside, she closed the door until it was only cracked. She gazed out. The handle to the room jiggled. She gasped and backed up, her hair snagging on the coats. She kept backing up as she heard her mother enter the room. 

All of a sudden, she tripped and landed in a pile of...snow?

She looked up to find tree branches. Slowly getting up, she turned around to discover a wintery forest. Behind her, inside the wardrobe, Analeigh heard her mother calling her name. "Mama!" she said turning around to go to her mother. However, the wardrobe was no longer there. Only the trunk of a gigantic tree trunk. "Mama!" she cried again, placing her hand on the cold rough bark. "Mama! Mama! Where are you?" she wailed, louder and more frantic.

Turning in circles, she tried to find where the wardrobe had. She grew dizzy, and fell to the ground. Everything was blurry, her breathing was heavy, and her eyes turned glossy with tears. She realized that it was very cold. "Mama..." she started, tears falling down her flushed cheeks, "Help me..."

She shakily laid her head on the ground. She sniffled and felt her fingers and toes going numb. It was so cold, and she was very tired.  As she was drifting to sleep, she heard a quiet growl behind her. She didn't have the energy to raise her head. It sounded soft, almost like a purr. She couldn't feel her face anymore. It was so cold. 

Something big laid down behind to her, and she was instantly engulfed in warmth. It was like a fluffy pillow. The last thing she remembered was golden fur, and a soft voice saying she was going to be okay.