Chapter 4

I was not fearful for my own life, but for theirs. They needed to get to my father and the other Narnians. It was their destiny, and they of course needed to be alive to fulfill it. It was now my job-no, it was my duty-to get them there safe. I couldn't fail. I couldn't fail. I couldn't fail. I knew the horrors of what the Witch would to them-us-if we were caught. That's what kept me running for my life.

"Run!" I screamed to them and we all continued to flee. It felt like I was in a nightmare. We were running as fast as we could, but we never gained any distance and I could hear the bells approaching. Snow was caking to my boots and Lucy kept slipping on the ice. The beavers were leading us into the forest for more coverage but I knew that wouldn't stop her, only slow her down. The siblings were slowing greatly for they were not accustomed to sprinting through the artic forest. I slowed down and fell in step behind them, hurrying them along as best I could. Lucy's foot caught on an exposed tree root and she fell to the ground with a cough.

"Lucy!" Peter and Susan yelled, turning around and stopping to help her. But before they could, I was by her side helping her up and dusting her off as as best I could.  We could not delay. I shooed her along and turned to Susan who was breathing heavily. She was looking at me strangely but continued on. Peter smiled between his hard breaths and his chest was rising and falling rapidly under his fluffy coat.

"Quick! Down here!" I hear Mr. Beaver yell and we jump down into a ditch, climbing under a small ledge of rock. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I acknowledged that my back was pressed up against Peter's chest, but we were in the tiniest cave hiding from the White Witch. I think that excuse him touching me. I heard the wolves and the sleigh approaching fast, and my heart was pounding. Then there was silence. Absolute silence. The kind of silence that was so loud, it hurt my ears. Snow fell down in front of us and a dark shadow cast itself across the ground. I felt Peter put his arm around my waist and protectively pull me closer to him. I turned my head and gave a worried smile, which he soon reciprocated. Lucy was shaking in Susan's arms and I felt my soul tremble. There was so much fear in their eyes, and probably in my own as well. How could someone be so evil to make a little girl scared? Almost as suddenly as it came, the shadow was gone. I sighed in relief, but I still didn't trust it. Peter was still breathing heavily but had loosened his arm from around my waist, yet held my waist with his hand lightly.
"Is she gone?" Lucy asked quietly. I met Mr. Beavers eyes and he shook his head. Peter began to step forward, "I'll go check-"

"No! I'll go," What was I doing? "You would be of no use to us dead." It came out harsher than I anticipated, and I immediately felt bad when I met his hurtful gaze. He nodded slowly as I stepped around him, "You would be of no use if you were dead either..." My heart stopped and butterflies grew in my stomach but I kept moving, climbing up the small ridge. Drawing my sword, I lept up and was prepared to kill anything that moved, but I soon stopped in my tracks.

"Hello, my dear Analeigh." He said in his timelessly gentle voice. Dropping my sword, and finally taking in a breath, I ran to him and was embraced in a warm and jolly hug.

"Hello, Father Christmas."