Chapter 2

I stared at Mr. Beaver, still trying to comprehend what he had said. The Kings and Queens. They were finally here. After all this time, they had finally arrived, and I was one of the first to greet them. Who would have guessed? I studied their faces closely. They were definitely siblings, but didn't the prophecy state that four siblings would arrive in Narnia? I decided that now was not a good time to ponder questions. 

"It's a privilege to finally meet you. We have been waiting a long time for your arrival," I said in a calm voice, smiling. I bowed my head slightly and the little girl, presumably called Lucy, smiled widely and curtsied back. Susan, the older one, gave me a quick smile but looked cautious. Her eyes were clouded with doubt, worry, and frustration. The boy, Peter, walked forward with his hand out, "It's nice to meet you too." He smiled kindly and even though it was dark, I could see his piercing blue eyes staring into mine. His accent was just like mine. British-my Father had called it. I took his hand and shook it gently. His hands were huge compared to mine.Well, everything was huge compared to me.He was very handsome.  I only came to just below his shoulders. I let go and a shuddered breath came from my lungs. I didn't realize I was holding my breath. Peter gazed down at me and inhaled sharply, staring into my eyes and then at the snowy ground beneath us. I needed to break away from the awkward trance. "Come, let's start a fire and tend to your wounds, Fox. Mrs. Beaver, can you assist me?" I asked, walking away from Peter and kneeling beside Fox. We had a lot of work to do.

                                                                       ~~~~~~~~~~

As Mrs. Beaver and I were cleaning Fox's wounds, I thought about Peter and his sisters. If they really were the ones who were going to save us, they had a lot to catch up on. Did they know how evil the White Witch really was? Did they even know who she was? Did they know anything about us? Anything about the people that they would be saving? 

"They were helping Tumnus," Fox  sighed, "The Witch got here before I did..."  I gazed up into the fox's eyes. They were sad and filled with painful regret. We always seemed to be too late. My eyes found Lucy's over the campfire; they were filled with silent tears. My gaze flitted to Peter only to find him staring back at me. He quickly looked away, blushing, and I smiled to myself. "Ouch!" Fox yelped as I pressed some clothe to his bleeding back. "I'm sorry. This is going to hurt," I said and rubbed his head for comfort. He let out a heavy breath.

"Are you alright?" questioned Lucy in a small voice, her eyes big with sadness. Fox gave a quick laugh, "Well, I wish I could say their bark was worse than their bite-OUCH!" He screeched and convulsed. I grimaced and placed my hand on his back, forcing him down on the ground. "Oh! Stop squirming!" said an impatient Mrs. Beaver, "You're worse than Beaver on Bath Day!" I smiled and glanced up at Mr. Beaver who shook his head and shivered, "It's the worst day of the year..." This caused all four of us humans to giggle.

"Thank you for your kindness, but I'm afraid that's all the cure I have time for," Fox said as he stood. "You're leaving?" cried Lucy, and we all looked with confusion at Fox. "It has been a pleasure, My Queen, and an honor, but time is short, and Aslan himself has asked me to gather more troops-"  Fox  was cut off by a gasp from Mrs. Beaver and her husband asking, "You've seen Aslan?" in unison. Fox chuckled and I smiled.

"Of course we have, beavers. He is my father after all," I replied warmly. They smiled understandingly. "Well, dear, what is he like?" said Ms. Beaver, walking to me and taking my hand in her paws. "He's like everything you have ever heard." I smiled at her and gazed at the siblings to find more confusion on their faces.

Fox walked towards Peter and said, "You'll be glad to have him by your side in the battle against the Witch." Peter looked shocked, then proceeded to study his hands as Susan interrupted, "But we're not planning on fighting any Witch." What did she say?  

"But surely, King Peter! The prophecy!" yelped Fox.

"We can't go to war without you!" I stepped forward slightly. He looked up at me, and I could see the fear in his aqua blue eyes. What was wrong? Things were not adding up. They weren't going to go to war...they weren't going to help us. The prophecy said that the Kings and Que-......and at that moment I understood.

"She took your brother, didn't she?" I looked at them with pity and Peter slowly nodded still looking at the ground. Little Lucy sniffed and her sister wrapped an arm around her. "We just want our brother back..." said Peter. I sighed sadly, and found that he was looking at me again. He was truly very attractive.

A short while later, Fox left and we all watched the fire in silence. It burned and crackled against the icy snow around it. That is what will happen to the Witch. Our goodness will destroy her evilness. Fire will always destroy ice.