Part-6

Flashback: The Last holiday.

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm golden hue over the neighborhood park. Jeno made his way home from the arcade.

As he rounded a familiar corner, he came upon an unexpected sight. The HYBE basketball team, a rival squad known for their fierce competition with SM High, stood gathered under the shade of a towering tree.

They seemed to be in high spirits, their camaraderie evident in their animated conversation. Jeno, preferring to avoid unnecessary conflict, considered slipping past them unnoticed.

But just as he attempted to do so, one of the members of the Hybe team, recognizing Jeno, called out to him. "Hey, Jeno from SM High! Fancy seeing you here."

Jeno's steps faltered, a sense of foreboding settling in his chest. He turned to face them, a guarded expression on his face. "What do you want?"

The captain of the HYBE team stepped forward, a smug smirk on his face. "Just thought we'd have a friendly chat with our esteemed rivals. You know, discuss the upcoming match."

Jeno's feathers were ruffled. He could sense the underlying challenge in the captain's words. "Save the talk for the court. We'll let our skills do the talking."

One of the members, a particularly audacious rival, stepped forward. "You know, it's no secret how you got that captain position. Must be nice having a daddy who can pull the strings."

Jeno's jaw clenched, his fists tightening. He knew that personal attacks came with the territory, but hearing them vocalized stung in a way he hadn't anticipated.

The captain of the HYBE team chimed in, his tone dripping with disdain. "And what about your cheerleading squad? Seen 'em in action. Quite the spectacle, I must say."

With a steely gaze, Jeno shot back, "Talk all you want. When we face off on the court, we'll see who comes out on top."

The exchange grew more heated, the rivalry between the schools escalating to a fever pitch. Jeno's resolve remained unyielding, his determination to prove himself and protect his team burning brighter than ever.

And in that moment, he realized that sometimes, it took an unexpected provocation to remind him of the fire that burned within him.

flashback ends~

The school day progressed, but an uncharacteristic tension seemed to have settled over the usually bustling halls. Jeno's presence, once a beacon of confidence and charm, now radiated an air of restlessness and unease.

Jimin watched from a distance, her concern growing with each passing interaction. Jeno's short temper was evident as he occasionally raised his voice, snapping at friends who attempted to engage him in their usual banter.

Ningning, standing beside Jimin, voiced what they were both thinking. "Jimin, this isn't like Jeno at all. Something must be really bothering him."

Jimin nodded, her gaze fixed on Jeno as he nearly came to blows with a classmate who had pushed him too far. The sight sent a shiver down her spine, a stark reminder of the gravity of the situation.

In the midst of it all, Jeno's normally warm eyes were clouded, his expression a storm of conflicting emotions. It was as if he were wrestling with demons that she couldn't see, and it left her heart aching for him.

_______________

The school canteen was a sea of activity, students chatting and laughing as they enjoyed their lunches. But for Jeno, the air was still charged with the lingering tension from his encounter with the Hybe team.

He sat alone at a corner table, his usual vibrant energy replaced by a brooding intensity. He wanted nothing more than to be left in peace, to process the storm of emotions swirling within him.

As if on cue, Wonyoung approached, a hesitant smile on her face. "Jeno-oppa~, What's worng?"

Jeno's temper was still on a hair-trigger, and he snapped, "Nothing. I need some space."

The hurt in Wonyoung's eyes was palpable, her shoulders sagging with the weight of rejection. She had sensed Jeno's agitation, but she hadn't expected to be met with such coldness.

In a desperate attempt to salvage the moment, Wonyoung's voice wavered. "Please, Oppa. I am your girlfriend. Can't you just tell me what's bothering you?"

But her plea seemed to fall on deaf ears. Frustration bubbled within Jeno, a volatile mix of anger and confusion. He didn't want to answer Wonyoung's question, not when he was still struggling to make sense of his own emotions.

With a sudden surge of determination, Wonyoung raised her voice, causing heads to turn in their direction. "OPPA!, you can't keep avoiding me. We need to talk."

The commotion drew even more attention, and Jeno's irritation reached its breaking point. He looked at Wonyoung, his voice sharp and final. "Maybe we shouldn't be together anymore."

The words hung in the air, a heavy silence settling over them. Wonyoung's eyes welled with tears, a mix of sadness and embarrassment washing over her. She knew it. She knew it's coming but she didn't just expect it would be this soon and this straightforward. She turned and left, her footsteps echoing in the empty space.

After awhile, not feeling so comfortable with the stares and whispers, Jeno decided to leave the canteen as well.

As he strode through the canteen, he spotted Jimin holding her lunch plate. Stopping in his tracks, Jeno turned to face the said girl. His voice was firm, carrying a hint of the anger that still pulsed through him. "Yu Jimin, you need to step up your game in cheerleading."

Jimin, caught off guard by Jeno's sudden address, nodded earnestly. "I..I will."

"Good. We can't afford any missteps. Keep the spirit alive, Jimin-ah~"

Without waiting for a response, Jeno continued on his way, leaving Jimin standing there, a mix of confusion and determination swirling within her.

As the crossed boy's footsteps echoed in the distance, the confused girl stood there, her lunch plate suddenly feeling heavier in her hands. She watched him go, a mix of confusion and disappointment welling up inside her.

She couldn't understand why Jeno had singled her out like that. She had always given her all in cheerleading, trying to inspire the team and rally their spirits. But now, it felt like her efforts were falling short.

Her thoughts raced, trying to make sense of the situation. She didn't know about the Hybe provocation that had ignited Jeno's anger. To her, it seemed like he was implying that she wasn't doing enough as a cheerleader.

A sense of self-doubt began to creep in. Was she not living up to the expectations of the team? Did Jeno see her as a weak link? The questions swirled in her mind, casting a shadow over her confidence.

As she picked at her lunch, her appetite waned. She couldn't shake the feeling of disappointment in herself. She had admired Jeno's dedication to the team, and now she felt like she was falling short.

_______________

Author's Note:

I said I would update every Wednesdays and Sundays. But it's already Tuesday and I haven't updated since last Wednesday. I've been so caught up in my school works and didn't have time for this anymore. 

Anyways, this is actually for last Sunday. And hope you enjoy it! 

21.11.2023