Chapter 4

A/N: Warning: There be will freaky and dirty moments here and there throughout the entire tale. Be warned.

One year, nine months Later

Tara and Alcide created a comfortable life together in his home. They made it theirs together, even creating a fruit and vegetable garden in the back and a flower garden in the front. The two of them built a patio and a tall, secure fenced gate surrounding the back yard. Tara had got a job as a medical assistant after taking a six-month class. Now she was studying to be Registered Nurse. On Alcide's birthday, Tara bought him a state-of-the-art grill that he had wanted years back. She actually used her first few paychecks to buy the latest version. 

He was so touched on the gesture, knowing she didn't have to do it. He loved how she even helped him build up his construction business. She helped him turn one of his extra, empty rooms in the back of the house into an office where he would conduct business for any upcoming jobs. When he arrived home, he would smell some great meat grilling outside and the table ready with a nice sized digital tv nearby for them to occasionally look at in between talking about their day.

Alcide never thought he would ever feel this fortunate or be this lucky. So, it didn't come as a surprise to him when he found himself walking into a jewelry store at a shopping center on his way home. He stared at several rings, when one caught his eye. He grinned and pulled out his debit card to pay for it.

When he got home, he found Tara running back and forth in the kitchen still in her work scrubs. "Hey, Babe!" He greeted her with a smile before placing his hard hat and equipment on a table in the kitchen just for them. "Hey, baby!" She said while moving back and forth. "I'm sorry that dinner isn't ready. I just got home an hour ago. All I had time to do was make a homemade meat lovers pizza and a salad." She said as she grabbed the salad bowl and walked over to the table to sit it down. 

"Oh, that's fine." He said as he watched her walk back to pull the pizza out of the oven. Alcide went to the refrigerator and opened it up to grabbed all the salad fixings. He went to put it on the table as she used the pizza cutter and sliced the pizza. She then slid the pizza onto a cool pan before she brought it to the table. Alcide had also grabbed two beers and opened them, placing them onto the table near their plates.

Tara was looking at the table to see if anything else was missing, when Alcide gently grabbed her arm. He pulled her close and made her look into his eyes. "Hi." He softly said and smiled. Tara looked up at him and smiled back. "Hi." She spoke before giving him a genuine heartfelt look. "You forgot something." He whispered. "What?" She asked. "Kissing me." He drawled out. "Oh." She replied before tiptoeing upward. "I would never forget that." She mumbled before they closed in to kiss each other. Once they ended the kiss, the couple sat down together and started to eat.

Alcide decided that before bed, he would spring his surprise on her. He smiled to himself as he ate. He couldn't wait until he sees her face and she hears what he wants with her.

Across the city, on the outskirts

"We need to find some new wolf blood." Cooter stated as he threw his arm around his future mate, Debbie Pelt. "I want to make sure that we can rule Shreveport as a strong pack before Debbie and I are mated for life." Cooter said. "And my right-hand man, Gus, will help me search for that new blood. But for now, we need you men and women to mate on the next full moon. We need some wolf pups around." He told the crowd. "It's been a long time since any wolf pups have been in this pack!" A fellow pack member shouted out.

"That's why we need some. And it would be good to have pure wolf blood in the pack. Sure we could mate with non werewolves and have half breeds but we would have to take those babies into our fold as soon as they are born and that could get messy. Especially dealing with humans." Cooter stated.

"Well, what about turning some human and bringing them in to mate?" Another pack member yelled out. "I thought of that. Gus and I talked about it. We decided to hold that as a last resort. Let's try naturally first. Then we'll all have another meeting and vote on turning humans or mating with them. Okay, pack, dismissed!" Cooter stated, before he howled. Debbie and Gus started to join in on howling, before everyone howled in return.

Later that night, Alcide was in bed with Tara as they watched the evening news on the flatscreen. "Tara, I was wondering if we can talk for a minute." He began to say before turning towards her. Tara glanced over at Alcide and raised her brows. "What's up?" She asked. "I was wondering if you're happy?" He asked her in a shy tone. Tara arched a dark brow, wondering if he was reaching for something. "Yes. Yes, I'm very happy." She told him. "Well, are you so happy that you would stay for a long time?" He asked her, his drawl getting deeper. "How long?" She asked, her eyes narrowed in confusion.

Alcide reached behind his pillow and pulled out a small black box and held it up to her face. He opened and spoke in a whispered voice. "Forever. As my wife?" Tara's eyes went wide as she stared at the ring. It had a yellow diamond in between two regular diamonds. "Is that what I think it is?" She asked, her southern accent getting deeper as she stared at it. Alcide grinned as he took the ring out of the box. 

"Well, if you think it's an engagement ring. Then you thought right." He spoke while taking the ring out of the box and tossing the box to the side. "Will you marry me, Tara Thorton?" He asked her as he reached for her left hand and held with his. He continued to hold the ring in his right as he waited for her answer. Tara glanced from the ring to Alcide as she blinked several times.

"You really want to marry me? You really care about me that much?" She asked, feeling surprised. "Hell, yeah!" He said, shocked that she didn't realize it. "I fell for you back in the beginning. But I'm in love with you now and I feel forever with you. The thing is, how do you feel? And what's your answer." He spoke watching her reaction.

"I feel so much for you, Alcide." Tara stated. "For the first time in my entire life I am truly happy. For the first time, I don't have to sacrifice my happiness for anyone else. Someone truly loves and cares for me as much as I do them." She replied as she looked into his eyes. Alcide leaned in, letting his nose touch hers. "So, what is your answer darling?" He asked. Tara knew that she wanted this and until he asked her, she didn't realize how much she's wanted this. "Yes. Yes, Alcide Herveaux, I will marry you." She said, feeling joy all through her body. Alcide slipped the ring on her wedding finger before they rubbed noses then kissed.