We asked Google

Perched on a cold, unforgiving bench, I found myself facing the imposing figures of The Scourge, Aliyu, and Nedu. Ignored, I waited for my moment of recognition as they engaged in a heated deliberation in the sonorous tones of the Hausa language. Bowing my head, I anticipated acknowledgement.

Suddenly, Nedu's voice pierced the haze of ignorance. "Corper Jefter Esan Epke," he called. My head shot up, gaze fixed firmly on them. "Sir," I replied a hint of curiosity in my eyes.

Revelations began, unravelling my carefully guarded secrets. "You attended Glory Secondary School in Benin City, studied Urban Management at the University of Calabar, graduating with a second class lower," Nedu disclosed. Astonished, I couldn't hide my disbelief. How did they know my life's narrative, something I hadn't even shared with Ade?

Forcing a smile to mask my growing anxiety, I inquired cautiously, "How do you know so much about me, sir?" My heart pounded.

Nedu continued with precision, revealing even the hidden chapters of my academic journey. "You had two carryovers, one in year one second semester, and the other in the final year first semester."
I stood on my feet, disbelief etched on my face, I blurted out, "Who are you guys?"

"Sit down, Corper!" The Scourge commanded, and I immediately complied. Fear gripped me, lips trembling, legs shaking uncontrollably.

"I am sorry, Sir, but how do you know so much about me?" I stammered, voice quivering, fear and confusion clouding my expression.

"So you think say we no go sabi you? You think say we be mumu?" Aliyu thundered, his glare sharp and menacing.

"No, sir," I hurriedly responded, exuding fear and uncertainty, eyes darting around nervously.

"You survived in that terrorist camp. Explain how," The Scourge asked calmly, though his gaze bore into me, the most unsettling of all.

"I got lucky," I mumbled, struggling to recall the harrowing experiences I'd rather forget.

"Explain that 'luck' to us," Nedu pressed.

Nodding, I tried to navigate the maze of memory. "I guess...I guess..."

"Speak up, Corper!" The Scourge demanded, growing impatient.

"Im dey stammer like goat wey chop grass full mouth. Comot am!" Aliyu growled. He moved towards me raising his hand like he wanted to slap.

My entire being quaked. I wanted to speak, but words seemed to have abandoned me, leaving me stranded in a sea of fear and hesitation.

"Aliyu, hold on," The Scourge intervened. Aliyu reluctantly resumed his seat, casting a wicked glance at me.
The room fell silent, an eerie hush settling over it. "Do you remember anything?" The Scourge's voice softened, evoking a distant memory for me.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I tried to find my voice, to explain the unexplainable. "I watched my principal...his brain exploded, and...it entered my mouth. I witnessed unspeakable horrors - beatings, starvation, and humiliation beyond words." Tears flowed uncontrollably, my body trembling with a mix of anger and anxiety.

"We are soldiers, Corper," Aliyu retorted coldly. "Such stories no dey affect us, again"

"But I'm not!" I snapped back, my voice shaking with emotion. "I saw a girl beheaded, and that nightmare still haunts me to this day." My teeth clenched, my body feverish with memories I always feared to remember.
"I am not a soldier. I never enlisted for any of this," I sobbed like a child. The more I tried to suppress the sobs, the stronger the urge to continue.

"I am still waiting for you to tell us what happened at your camp," The scourge said. He stood up and approached me, placing a hand on my shoulder. His touch was as cold as winter. "We need to be sure so that we can corroborate the information we are receiving, Jefter."

I nodded. A lot happened at the tree camp, but that's in the past now. I didn't want to recall those bitter moments of my life, at least not now. "I am not ready yet, sir."

Nedu smiled. He stood up and came closer to me. "So, there is nothing unique that happened during your stay with those bloody terrorists, no matter how absurd it may sound or appear?" His voice had become much calmer.

I snorted, "Abeg, I shit for body there. My belle no dey settled for that place. The smell of the shit no even resemble original one."

Aliyu burst into laughter upon hearing that. "This boy is a clown. Nedu, you asked for something ridiculous. Are you satisfied now?" He crossed his legs on the table and relaxed, letting out a big yawn. " This Corper just dey lucky oh."

"Aliyu, this goes beyond luck," Nedu shook his head, focusing on me. He exhaled heavily, as if he had given up on me, and then returned to his seat, as did the Scourge.

"I know you must have heard that I am The Scourge?"

I nodded, "Yes, I have."

"Good, you can call me Hassan."

"Okay, sir," I answered. The sobs gradually subsided as the tension eased.

"Do you have any questions?" Nedu asked, his disbelief still evident on his face.

"How do you know so much about me?" I desperately inquired.

"We asked Google," Aliyu quickly responded as if he anticipated my question. "Of course, it's classified. You can call it military intelligence. Is there anything else?"

I was compelled to reveal the one thing that occurred in the tree camp. How I encountered a witch and all. But, of course, that was laughably ridiculous.

"This may sound a bit strange, but I want to go home," I said. I knew it was a foolish thing to say. I was already aware that we were trapped and in need of escape. However, if they knew about my past, there was nothing wrong in making a statement the answer seemed apparent.

"Corper Jefter, dis no be time to ask dat kind question," Nedu replied. "I'm sure you have watched Spider-Man, right?"

"Yes," I nodded. I wondered what Spider-Man had to do with this.

"Good, we are in a nowhere-home kind of situation right now," Nedu explained.

"The bridges are destroyed. We are currently trapped, Jefter," Hassan added. He made it seem effortless and calm, but I knew we were in deep trouble. "Our radio isn't functioning properly, but there should be an evacuation team coming to our aid soon. Until that happens, we have to hold on."

I nodded.

Just as I was about to say that I understood, we suddenly heard shouts from outside. I could hear noises and movements approaching us.

Aliyu and Nedu quickly stood up as soldiers approached the table. I could hear a loud cry from outside. I could hear orders being shouted and the sound of boots marching.
This seemed like trouble.
The soldiers, about ten to twelve of them, saluted as they entered. The scourge stood up and returned the salute.

"What's the situation?" Hassan asked. He remained calm and composed.

"Captain, the terrorists delivered something to us," one of the soldiers answered, holding a black bag.

"Let me see it," the scourge demanded.

The soldier nodded and placed his hand inside the bag, pulling out a severed head. He placed the head on the ground and stepped back.
"Jesus!" I screamed, jumping up from my seat and moving away from the head.

"Calm down, Corper," Aliyu shouted at me.

The scourge approached and bent down to examine the head. He smiled, "The bastards beheaded Mary and dared to bring her to me. Dey get liver Wallahi."

"Captain, they also left a letter." The soldier handed a crumpled white paper to the scourge.

Hassan straightened up and read the letter. "Give us Zaki, or we attack base now. Refuse, and we put your head in a bag too. Give us Zaki now, now, now!!!!" Hassan read out.