Fatalwar Hamada

I couldn't believe the situation I found myself in. Left behind while my fellow corps members were freed, I felt a deep sense of disappointment, sadness, and hopelessness. Captain Obi, the trader, had given me a faint glimmer of possibility, but it was hard to hold onto hope.

The sun beat down mercilessly, but thankfully, the tree camp shielded us from its strong rays. As I sat there, I realized my fever had returned. The drugs Maliq had given me earlier must have worn off.

Idris approached me with the provisions Captain Obi had brought: cards of cabin biscuits, fried groundnuts, and a sachet of water. He untied my hands and said, "Corper, it's time to eat." Despite his reassurance, despair still lingered on my face.

"Don't worry," Idris said in the calmest voice. "You will soon go home."

I mustered a smile. "I have a fever, Idris," I told him.

He touched my neck with the back of his hand, quickly confirming my condition. "Eat quickly. "I'll ask Maliq to give you some medicine after you're done."

I managed to eat two cards of biscuits while Idris kept me company, hungrily chewing on his own. Between bites, he assured me, "Don't worry, Obi will come for you." "He never fails."

Nodding, I asked, "He is Igbo, right?"

Idris nodded in confirmation. "He is Christian too," he added.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I questioned, "So, why do you deal with him?" He's a Southerner and a Christian. "Why trust him?"

Idris explained, "His goods are the cheapest, and he has no fear doing business with us. Besides, he is a very good friend of Murad. Obi has many friends." He paused for a moment before continuing, "And if Allah is using Obi to help us survive, then may He be praised for that."

I could see the displeasure on his face. Perhaps I probed too deeply. So I nodded and offered a faint smile. "Thank you for the care and love you have shown me, Idris," I sincerely said, acknowledging their help, even though I wouldn't have been in this situation if not for them. "I might have died if not for you and..." I rolled my eyes and continued, "If not for you and Maliq."

Suddenly, we noticed another vehicle approaching. As it drew nearer, we saw it was a white Hilux truck. There were three of them. They had black flags with inscriptions written in Arabic.

"Mayya!" Idris called out, his face lacking the delight he had shown when Captain Obi arrived. He stood up, ready to greet their visitor.

I gently touched his leg, pleading, "Idris, please stay here." Don't go."

He gave me an innocent look, accompanied by a soothing smile. "I'll be back before you know it." "I have to go and welcome her."

I nodded, realizing that she must be one of their leaders. I recalled Murad demanding her presence after what happened to the late Amaka.

As the vehicles stopped, the occupants emerged. Among them was a woman dressed in black, covered from head to toe. She must be Mayya. She was surrounded by over twenty heavily armed terrorists, and she carried a wooden staff. She and Murad exchanged pleasantries in both Hausa and Arabic. Murad pointed to where Amaka's body lay, and Maya signalled her guards to place the remains in one of the Hilux's boots. Their conversation continued, and Idris made his way back to me.

"Do you know what Mayya means?" he asked, taking a seat beside me.

"Daughter of Allah, I guess?" I ventured a response.

He looked at me and scoffed. "It means a witch."

I nodded, accepting the information. "Okay," I added.