A human is in love with you?

DYLAN'S POV

"What? I can't do that. We do not even love each other or anything, so how come you want that to happen?" I asked her knowing what she had in mind but alas I was shocked by what she said next.

"Who said we are in love, the only thing I need from you is to follow me to my parents and lie to them that we want to get married. You just have to follow me there and remember you promised to protect me and you will do that. To them and the world, it would be a real marriage but to us, we know it is a fake one...." She explained while I tried to digest each word of hers.

"After the marriage, we will insist on traveling abroad, and from there we can officially divorce each other and go our separate ways. We do not even need to leave the country all I need is for you to help. Can you not help this desperate woman?" she asked me as she placed her right palm on my face but that won't work just like that. I am a merman and a merman cannot marry someone who he or she doesn't love or if he or she loves but the love must be reciprocated.

"Answer me!" she screamed again and for real that got me thinking about who she was.

"Mermaids and mermans have been bound not to get married to humans even though that's what I want. I cannot break the rule because I am the Isnamerman, the future ruler of Lemuria and do you expect me to be the one to break the rule?" I revealed lowering  my head.

"Just know you have broken your promise like that, you promised me and you have broken it. I despise you and again can you not break your rule for the woman you vowed to protect? Is the rule in your kingdom much more valuable than my life, if you can't keep the promise you have made to me how can you fulfill the ones you will make to your people?" she asked.

She has said it all and I could see now is a broken woman who just wants to leave the bondage she is in and what secrets are in that house? Could it be somehow related to the reasons I have come here or some other reasons, what secrets are they keeping? She snapped her fingers right in front of my eyes which indicated that she wanted a reply from me.

"Okay fine, I will do it and it is only for my promise and there should be no feelings attached," I said but deep within me I knew I loved her but I could not defile the rule of Lemuria. Then this lady right in front of me is not ready to agree with me so I have to do the needful by agreeing with her. Am I trapping myself more deeper in this human love or am I trying to save myself from the royal title?

"There will be no feelings attached, it will be just for the main time as we have planned and not more than that, please. We will be leaving for Victoria Island by six in the morning tomorrow, make sure you are here by then. The driver will be here by then so make sure you come in before the driver does. Thank you" she said as she threw her hands over to my back and gave me a tight hug and kiss while I looked on confused.

"That's fine for now," I said as I pulled her away from me slowly "I will be off now, okay?" I walked out of the house breathing heavily to come out of my high. I have been trapped at last, there is the problem of love on one side, the problem of Marvin and the murder that has happened, the problem of me facing Doris' parent, and the problem of me being lost in love. What do I do?, I have to see mother.

I jumped into the water and took my merman form as I swam swiftly to Lemuria.

"Mother, mother I am here," I said as I swam into the main palace where she was seated on her throne. "Welcome my son," she said as I bowed down to greet her royally.

"Mother, I know you might be thinking that I came here but I haven't come here without a reason. A lot is happening up there which you do know nothing about" I said to her

"Tell me what the problem is," she said wanting to know more details but do I need to tell her about Marvin, I have to be sure before placing a blame on him.

"ohhh... Yes Mother. It is not a big deal. There is just this lady that has been running around me saying she loves me and so on" I lied trying to cover Marvin up and I hope I won't get into more trouble.

"What! A human is in love with you?" she said as she stood up from her seat and swam towards me fast Do not forget the rule no matter what you do. You can never fall in love with a human, it is the rule we have to follow and protect. You are going to make a grave mistake" she said as turned her back on me. I swam right to her front and took my stand.

"It is not what you are thinking, this is....." I was unable to complete my sentence as she cut me short of words.

"She has to forget you somehow. No matter what you do, wipe off her memory completely. If you wipe off her memory, she will forget everything she has known about you and just vaguely remember any moment. That's the only way to protect your secret and for you to fulfill your duty" she said with a straight face.

"But mother I can't just..." I protested but I was cut off once again.

"You have to do it. This is an order made by me the queen of Lemuria. And as I stand before you as the ultimate ruler no merman or mermaid can defy my rule" she said and swam into her hidden chamber while I looked disturbed. Why on Earth did I lie to her?, why did I choose to save Marvin and put Doris on the line?, why have I decided to put myself in a difficult situation, why are all these happening to me? I closed my eyes as hot tears prickled down my cheeks then they fell.

****
"Hey have you been doing well and any updates" I asked the professor over the phone.

"My name is Flora. Fine, you have called at the right time, I was also about to call you but you were faster. I have found a new lead for the investigation " Flora informed me and I was filled with delight. "Yes, tell me what you have found" I inquired so now, a policeman is involved in the case of Doris' friends death and it is just possible that this same policeman or policemen are involved with the people that killed your father. Secondly...." she said but I cut off

"Are you trying to say the people who attacked Lemuria are behind the death as well? What do they want in particular?" I asked.

"I cannot say what it is but according to my investigation for now, they are the one. I haven't still been able to you know... come to know of their identities. I will be going out tomorrow to continue my investigation. I am confident that all the answers to our questions are there and not that alone. Mysteries will unfold there, I can't figure out what it is yet but there is something there for sure" I heard her say over the phone.

"Fine that's good, I will be heading there tomorrow as well" I responded.

"There is no need for you to come here, these people are dangerous and if they by chance find out we are trailing them or trying to find their secret, we will both be, dead," she said with worry in her voice. And that got me thinking for real.

"That is why I am here and I have to be there to protect you as well. You cannot be the one to put your life on the line on our behalf and I also made a promise to protect and help someone that's the main reason why I will be there" I answered in a low voice.

"Since you seriously want to be here, come but remember no contact with me please" she warned and hung up the phone as I fell directly on my bed and drifted to a nice peaceful sleep.

Remember to exercise your right to vote and leave your valuable feedback in the comments section! Don't miss out on the upcoming chapters every Saturday.