Chapter 14

Waking up next to Camila was blissful. My arms were wrapped around her still body and my face was buried into her neck. Her rhythmic heartbeat and breathing pace soon became memorized as I laid there happily. Her hair tickled my face, but I ignored it. And one of my arms were numb, but that was okay too. It was a small price to pay to wake up next to this beauty after everything I've done to her. She kind of owed it to me to be laying still.

I guess having her finally settle down was my reward for battling her in the night. I thought I was in for a simple night of cuddles, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Camila was a monster; Impossible to sleep with. She tossed and turned relentlessly. I was so surprised by the way she kept kicking, kneeing, and scratching me. She even socked me in the nose once. She seemed like a harmless little puppy, but she was vicious in her sleep.

And on top of that, she had reptile feet. Everything south of her pelvis seemed to be freezing. The both of us were under her comforter, but her skin was still cold whenever it brushed against mine. It was insane. Her hands were always warm but her feet were like icicles. Her restlessness came as such a surprise. Of course I didn't expect her to lay still the entire night, but I wouldn't have imagined that she'd be so destructive. At one point, she'd turned completely around under the covers. Her fucking feet were on the pillow instead of her head. And she was a cover thief. I woke up cold at least four times because she was raveled up by herself, leaving me out there to fend for myself. But I could easily forget about that unfortunate time because she was being so lovely now.

Last night, she lent me some of her clothes to sleep in. They were a little snug, but I didn't mind. Wearing her clothes felt so right. Her shirt smelled exactly like her, so that almost made up for her being a wild beast for a good portion of the night. It was like cuddling. After dinner, things were considerably less dramatic. No more tears were shed. We were in high spirits for the rest of the night.

We laid in bed and just talked until she dozed off. Our conversations were ever-changing. I got to experience firsthand just how cryptic her thoughts get at night. I'd talked to her on the phone at night countless times, but it was different to witness the way her mind worked in person. It was amusing watching her change topics in the middle of a sentence. Her face would light up and she would sit up a little, then she would end up sinking back into her pillow and starting to process all over again. The girl could talk. All I had to do was lay there and listen. She kept the conversation going for at least twenty minutes before I said something.

And then she tired herself out. When we first got into bed, I was on one side and she was on the other. I wasn't aware of the gradual transition, but when she fell asleep, we were in each other's embrace. My arm was limply hanging around her torso and she was curled comfortably into my side. My chest served as her pillow. I soothed myself to sleep by raking my fingers through her hair. It was the perfect ending to a terrible day. You know, until she started World War III under the covers.

Now, I was merely watching her. Her body turned again and she was facing me, an act that didn't come as a surprise at all. I had to stifle my laugh when I looked at her. Her mouth was parted in sleep, and her body was unmoving. Her hair was messily strewn across her pillow and her limbs were invading my personal space once again, but I was happy. It was a rather unflattering position, but somehow she still managed to look cute to me.

As much fun as staring at her was, I did want her to wake up. A mischievous grin spread across my features and I reached up to caress her angelic face. My thumb brushed over the soft skin and my heart ached at the sight of her. Everything about her was so darling to me. I pitched forward and pressed a kiss to her forehead out of sheer adoration. I didn't remove my hand from her face as I moved up a little to kiss against her hairline. In an odd revelation, I found myself wanting to praise every inch of her skin.