🩸Dolls (pt.45)🩸

Start from the beginning

"Good boy," I whispered, "It's okay."

I hummed. "When did Mama feed you last, hm?"

Obviously, he didn't answer, but Melanie waddled into the room.
"Mommy!"

"Quiet voices with the baby, remember, lovely?"
She pouted, "Oh,"

I pointed at Theo's feeding schedule, it was a simple chalkboard hanging from a thumbtack in the wall, a wooden frame around it. "What number is that?"

She stared up at the sign for a moment, pondering.

"F-five," she answered quietly.
"That's right, nice job, lovely." I praised.

From the few times I'd bounced my little one-month old in my arms, I knew that if he wasn't asleep by now he'd had to be hungry.

It was 5-o'clock, which meant his last meal had been at 2 P.M, and it was time for another. That was, if Cleo's jumbled, sleepy brain had organized everything correctly.

"Let's go get him some food, okay, lovely?"

Melanie carefully followed me down the stairs, holding the railing like we'd taught her.

"You've been doing such a good job on those stairs, Mel," I told her.

She grunted as she landed flat on the ground behind me, running into the kitchen after us.

Theo let out a small wail, clearly upset he hadn't been fed yet. I placed him down in his bassinet right next to the island.

"I know, I know, sweetheart." I hummed, opening up the fridge. The other fridge, where Cleo had filled the baby's blood bags with extra nutrients and labeled them. I wasn't sure how, and I didn't really want to know.

"Any preferences?" I asked him.
It was rhetorical, but he still let out a small cry.

"Oh, what refined taste you have, sweetheart,"

I pulled out a random bag and poured a little more than half into his bottle. I filled the rest with warm water, and closed the top. Then I shook the liquid around, it sloshed in the bottle, hopefully mixing. Cleo had taught me that regular blood was too thick for babies, that's why we watered it down. The dose of warm water made it the perfect temperature for them.

I gently picked Theodore back up and cradled him in my arms, putting the tip of the bottle up to his lips.

He immediately latched on, whimpering softly as he drank.

"Mommy? Why's red?" Melanie asked.

She'd asked it before, but that was typical, and I was sure she was still just trying to get her head fully wrapped around it.

"Your brother eats the same as Mama, remember?"

"But...red?"

"That's...the natural color of it. He can get very sick if he eats anything else."
"Oh," she said.

Melanie knew Cleo wasn't exactly like her, or me, for that matter. Although the word "vampire" hadn't been taught yet. It was still important for us to be transparent with her.

"It's important to be kind to everyone, no matter what they eat, right, lovely?" I asked.

She nodded.

"That's right, good girl."

I paused for a second, "Can you say 'red' in Danish, lovely?"

She thought for a second as well, then stuttered over it, "Rød!"

Truthfully, from what I'd heard Cleo teach her, I thought her pronunciation was pretty decent. But obviously, I probably wasn't the person to ask.

"I think that's good, but you'll have to ask Mama when she wakes up,"