"Right" I said. "It'll be like a confirmation that this is actually real"

"Yeah, it's insane" she chuckled. "In a good way. It's exciting"

"Very exciting" I agreed. "Just in time for your birthday, huh?" I added, wondering if she was even going to mention that her birthday was in three days at some point. I knew her well enough to gather that she wasn't big on birthday celebrations, but still.

"Just in time for my birthday" she echoed. "The best present I could ever receive"

"Have you thought of how you'd like to spend the day?" I asked, already imagining what she would say.

"Like any other day, honestly"

"I knew you were gonna say that"

"Well, you know me well" she chuckled. "But really, as long as I'm spending it with you and avoiding the thought of going back to work in a few days, I'm good"

"Are you sure? You really just want to stay in?"

"Yes, really" she said, resting her head on top of mine. "I just want a calm, relaxing day with you. Nothing more"

"Don't you want to-"

"Look, I've had my fair amount of partying for my birthday throughout my life. But what I really want now is peace. And you"

"So boring" I joked, shaking my head.

"Wanting to be with my girlfriend is boring?"

"We're gonna be together a lot anyway now that I live here"

"Not once work starts and you have classes again"

"And I'm not even gonna see you in class six hours a week" I suddenly realized.

"That's better for us, don't you think? Lower risk of awkward moments and fear of being found out"

"I guess so...but I'll miss the thrill of it all"

"I'm sure you'll have other ways of getting thrilled" she said with a laugh. "Let's not think about that now. I'm just happy to be here with you"

"Me too" I said, turning my head so I could kiss her, and soon after falling asleep in her arms.

The next days were great even if we mostly just stayed in all day, but we truly enjoyed the feeling of officially living together. I couldn't believe I'd almost missed that opportunity because someone else's opinion on me had made me feel so insecure. But I was glad it was all over.

Sam's birthday soon arrived, and I really would have liked to be romantic and do something like bring breakfast in bed to her, but I also couldn't help the fact that she was a morning person and I absolutely wasn't. Although it was just past nine in the morning when I woke up, my girlfriend wasn't by my side in bed.

I got up and soon saw her in the kitchen making breakfast, like she always would when I woke up after her.

"I should be the one making you breakfast today" I said, wrapping my arms around her from behind and getting on my tiptoes to kiss her cheek.

"You shouldn't be doing anything different than usual" she shook her head.

"Happy birthday" I smiled, tightening my grip on her waist.

"Thank you my love" she smiled back, pecking my lips.

"I can't believe you're 41 years old now" I joked, causing her to elbow my arm harder than I expected. "That hurt! I was joking!"

"Well, it wasn't funny. Sorry, instinctive reaction I guess" she shrugged. "You'd like that, wouldn't you?" she added with a smirk.

"Huh?"