Sixteen

Two Weeks Later
. . .

HAWAII, PT. 1

"Flight 342 to Honolulu now boarding from Gate 29," there was a call over the P.A. System, but what the hell was Stella still doing in the bathroom? Whatever she'd had for lunch at the busy airport had not agreed with her, and it seemed she was paying for it severely now.

"Frick," I breathed, panicking as I rushed to gather mine and Stella's bags from the floor, looking nervously towards our gate. Stella ran out of the bathrooms 2 minutes late looking like hell, then rushing for her carry-on duffel that I'd left grabbed for her.

"What took you so long?" I shrieked, putting my phone back in my pocket with a faraway look behind my eyes. I'd been stalking Jack on Instagram again, annoyed that he was acting like his life was normal, and I was about to get the shock of my life, because Jack was coming to the wedding, with his new girlfriend. That would mean we might end up accidentally alone, and an all out fight might happen. "The flights calling for final boarders, that is us!"

"I'm sorry!" She cried, grabbing her baby pink bag and tossing it over her shoulder before we took off at a speed walk towards the gate. "I told you not to let me get the burrito!"

"How was I meant to know you'd actually poop your pants?" I chucked, itching to look at my phone again, just in case he'd texted.

We made it—just.

Stella flopped in her seat dramatically, turning on the screen in front of her eyes, on the back of the seat in front of her, and immediately ordered two glasses of champagne for us.

"Can't believe Mikey and Izzy are getting married," she told me, truly not being able to believe it. They were high school sweethearts, and usually, they fought, a lot, but I guess at the end of the day love is love and whoever you feel that love with isn't really up to you. "And in Hawaii?"

"I know," I sighed, before resting my head on the seat in front and screwing my eyes shut. "I'm just dreading seeing Jack."

"You mean, you're excited to see Jack, but dreading seeing Hillary," Stella smirked, sending me a sly grin and a single raised eyebrow.

I glared at me. "No, Jack and I aren't exactly on the best of terms, remember?"

She shrugged, not quite believing me. Jack and I had never really been on the best of terms. "That's because you're still in love with each other."

"He has a girlfriend," I noted, shaking my head. "He isn't interested anymore."

"And you have a cute plus one that'll be at the wedding," she reminded me. "Luke is hot! And Jack has always been weird about you and Luke."

"He has no reason to be," I said, accepting the glass of champagne being handed to me by the flight attendant with a smile. "Man, do I need this!"

"I say," Stella grinned, accepting a champagne of her own. "We get stupid drunk and do whatever we like! If we end up screwing some cute groomsman, good for us!"

I nodded, agreeing with my best friend as the plane began its ascent to the sky, ready to drop us to a Hawaii vacation I was determined to make memorable. Sure, I was dreading seeing Jack, the boy I'd loved all through senior year, but I was putting on a brave face, not wanting it be caught out.