Two

Luke had forced me into coming to a bar in the city after the game, he'd told me that Ashton, Cal and Mikey would be there, since they had a few shows coming up over this side if the country. And I, not wanting to pass up the opportunity to see my old friends, had agreed.

But now, I was sitting in a dimly lit booth, a beer in my hand while Luke chatted to the boys and I, started blankly at the team of hockey players that had just walked in, fully decked out in suits and dress shoes, and I felt severely under dressed in my leggings and sweat shirt. Granted, wasn't planning on coming out after, nor had I anticipated for the New Jersey Devils hockey team to be at the exact same bar. 

My eyed searched the sea of well dressed men, almost desperately, trying to find the one person I knew would be there, but I almost dreaded seeing. I had tried reaching out to Jack three years ago, finally feeling like I could make amends after all that happened, but, he'd shot me down-telling me he was busy.

Busy meant he didn't want a relationship and was happy being the playboy of the NHL. Having me in his life seemingly came in between all of that, and so, I had decided to block him from my life, forget him all together, and move on.

It had been hard, especially all those years ago, when the memories of our love were still fresh. And now, seeing him again, especially in a checked grey and black suit, my heart didn't know what to do.

I felt like I was short circuiting, or malfunctioning, maybe. Either way, once my gaze settled on the brunette mess of his slightly longer hair, and the baby blue of his eyes, I couldn't look away.

He stared back at me, completely expressionless, his gaze haunting me in a way that I hated, causing an excruciating ache in my chest that had me wanting to leave this bar and cry for days. But, I also didn't want him to think he made me feel any way at all. He'd hurt me, by telling me I couldn't be in his life, and tonight he'd pretended not to know who I was. Clearly, at some point, he'd decided to start dating again, and a part of me, a big part, was bitter that he hadn't chosen to date me.

After what felt like minutes, I realised Jack was still staring at me, his eyes unreadable as he hung by the bar with his team, his arm around Hillary Blake's shoulder lazily. He sipped his beer casually, staring right at me with a gaze so intense my heart thundered in my chest. I had to look away, losing the staring battle between us and earning a questioning glance from my best friend.

He raised a single eyebrow, and I nodded in the direction of the team of boys, letting him know why my mood has shifted from energetic to annoyed in a matter of moments.

"Oh shit!" Michael shouted, noticing the hockey team and two of his best mates from school. "Hughes and Hughes!"

I sighed, shrinking in my seat as my obnoxious friend gained the attention of multiple hockey boys.

"Mike," Jack grinned, sauntering towards our table to shake the hands of his high school group. His eyes connected with my own once again, but this time, he plastered a friendly grin on his lips, one that I wanted to say was real, but honestly, it wasn't. "Nice to see you again."

Hillary glared at me, scrunching her nose up, and still trying to puzzle me out. She didn't know who I was, and clearly Jack wasn't about to tell her.

"Little Hughes!" Luke Hughes shouted, screaming happily as he threw his arms around my shoulders, sliding into the booth beside me. "Aw man have I missed having you around!"

I giggled, not being able to hold back my blissful grin at the younger boys behaviour. I'd always loved Luke. "Hey, Lucas."

"Lyla," he hummed, resting his head on my shoulder affectionately. "Man, life sucks without you. No one insults my brother with me. Even Quinn is like, nice to him now? It's boring as shit."