Chapter 10: We get our first look at The Last City

Jorge drove us away from the Cranks as Newt, Thomas, Frypan and I all got comfortable. Thomas and I were in the front seat while Frypan and Newt were behind us.

"I'm impressed," Jorge said. "You guys almost lasted a whole day."

Brenda turned around to look at us. Her dark hair flicked across her pale face as she licked her lips with squinted eyes. She shook her head at us with a smug smirk.

I glanced up at Thomas and he seemed out of breath and worried. I cuddled up closer to him and his arms tightened around my shaking body.

"I'm sorry," Thomas began, "I didn't wanna bring you guys into this."

Really, Thomas? I thought. That's your best apology?

Brenda rolled her eyes and Jorge shook his head. I spoke up before the situation could get any more awkward. "Hey, I think what he's trying to say is, thanks for saving us."

"You're welcome," Brenda replied. She turned around in her seat and faced the road.

"And don't get your hopes up," Jorge said. "That checkpoint back there, that was the city's last defense. If that was overrun, chances are the city is, too."

"So there's a chance that we're gonna get eaten alive by mindless Cranks?" I asked. Thomas looked down at me. A reassuring smile appeared on his lips. He rubbed his hand up and down my arm in a comforting way.

"If I'm with you, there's no way that'll happen." A grin tugged at my lips, and I rested my head on Thomas's chest with a sigh coming from my nose. I closed my eyes and felt him rest his chin on my head.

A British accent cut through the comforting silence. "Yeah, unless they've figured out some other way to keep the Cranks out."

I opened my eyes and glanced out the window, my grin disappearing, instead replaced with a confused look.

Jorge stepped on the brake pedal and the truck slowed down. We all hopped out of the car, Newt holding the door open for me and holding my hand as I left my seat.

When my boots met the hard ground, Newt and I locked eyes. "Thanks."

"No problem," He quietly replied. Newt's hand lingered in mine, his thumb running over my knuckles gently. I'd never really admired Newt's face until then.

His blonde hair was puffed up on his head, one of his eyes was squinted, a small smile tugged at his lips, showing off his perfectly white and straight teeth. He had a young baby face that any girl would be attracted to, and he had dark brown eyes.

I snapped out of my daze and slid my hand out of Newt's. I made my way over to Thomas and overlooked the city.

Words couldn't describe how awed I was. On the inside, it was a nice, rich city, built with tall skyscrapers and clean structures. But on the outside, it was dark, dusty, and not very well built. The only thing separating them was a large wall, confined of thick concrete in a slanted position. {Picture below}

"Funny," Newt said

"Funny," Newt said. "Spent three years trapped behind walls, trying to break out and now we're trying to break back in."

"Yeah, it's hilarious." Frypan scoffed.

"Jorge, how do we get in?" Thomas asked.

"Don't look at me, hermano," Jorge answered. "Those walls are new. I guess that's WICKED's answer for everything."

"So we came all this way just to be locked out?" I asked. "We almost got torn apart by Cranks just for WICKED to build a shucking wall?"

Brenda scoffed. "We're getting in there, Y/N. But we ain't gonna figure it out from up here. Let's go!" Brenda walked back to the truck. So did Jorge, Frypan, and Newt. Thomas and I stayed and looked out at the city.

"What is it with WICKED and walls, am I right?" I asked, trying to light up the darkening mood. Thomas still didn't say anything.

I looked over at him and rested my right hand on his shoulder. "Hey, we're gonna get Minho back. That's a promise."

Thomas tore his eyes away from the city and looked back over at me. "You sure you can keep that promise?" He asked.

I glanced back at the city. I wondered if Minho was really there or if the whole plan was a suicide operation. I had a feeling Minho was there. Where else could he have been?

"Some people break their promises," I began, "but not me. We're gonna get him back. Even if it costs me my life."

I looked back at Thomas. A small smile made its way onto his face. "Why?" He asked.

My hand squeezed Thomas's shoulder, a smirk on my face. "Because he's one of your best friends. I know you care about him, and what wall would keep you away from people you cared about? We're gonna get him back. Just trust me."

Thomas turned his body so that it was facing me. He softly pulled me into a kiss, and I happily kissed him back. {Gif below}

 {Gif below}

Newt's P.O.V

I saw the way Tommy was looking at Y/N, and I knew they were going to kiss. I diverted everyone's attention away from them so they could have their privacy.

As I'd anticipated, Tommy kissed her. The sight made me sick to my stomach and left a bitter taste in my mouth. I wished I was in Tommy's place, getting to feel the feeling of Y/N's lips on mine instead of on his.

They pulled away from each other and hugged. I didn't want to see any more. "C'mon, shanks!"

They both pulled away from each other and looked over at me. They made their way to the car and sat next to each other in the front.

I, once again, wished she belonged to me instead of him, but I needed to focus on the task ahead. And that was getting inside the walls of WICKED.

Please vote and comment, I'd really appreciate it