e i g h t e e n

Comfort

Naomi

I know I said to myself to get the best grades this year, turns out that isn't possible. Chemistry will be the death of me if I am not careful! Do you every get so wound up by the most unnecessary things, because I do. I spent hours and hours revising for that fucking Organic Chemistry test, yet I failed. Sucks to be me I guess.

Anyways, enough about that. I've got way more shit to worry about, like packing for the deadly Senior year trip to Boston. It's called deadly for a reason, some kids got food poisoning last year in the hotel. If I am being honest, I wouldn't mind if Valentino got poisoned this time, it would actually be of some use if you know what I mean. To shut him up.

I know we kissed but it doesn't mean anything, especially to him. He can go fuck himself, just like before, but not with my name in his mouth. It's not like I liked it or anything. Liar. After 10 minutes of me staring blankly at the wall, lost and tangled in my thoughts, I begin aggressively shoving mountains of shirts, hoodies and random shit that I probably won't wear into my stupid pink suitcase that I've had since middle school. My Airpods are clinging onto my ears for dear life- blasting Brent Faiyaz as per usual as I huff and puff like the unfit girl I am.

The hollow piece of plastic is now so full that I have to jump on it to zip the flipping thing up, seriously how much do I need to bring to a trip that will last only 3 days? With beads of sweat trailing down my flustered face, I whip my water bottle out of my bag, gulping a full litre down in seconds. Refreshing to say the least.

It takes me about 3 to 4 business days to realise that I didn't pack my socks in the pink death trap, god damn it! As I reach for the drawer handle, a delicate touch on my back causes my heart to skip a beat. Multiple beats. Is my mind playing tricks on me because literally no one is at home apart from me?

I swiftly turn my head, pain clutching at my stomach at the thought of who it could be. Those dark curls fill my vision, my gaze softening as she looks at me with worried eyes. "Nova?" I question, not expecting her to be in my room so late. "I'm sorry I scared you" She says, a trembling sound echoing around my room. As I scan her face, I notice the red swelling around her eyes and that glint in her eyes has faded, dissipated into the darkness of her irises. Her once beautiful, radiant skin is now dull, the colour washed away. It's like there is a darkening gloom following her like a ghost.

"Nova, did something happen?" I ask, concern entwined within my tone of voice. "It's getting worse" she cries. Nova begins sobbing, her weak legs dropping to the floor. My body shifts closer to her cold one, enveloping her into my warmth as she shivers in fear. "I'm here for you okay" I whisper, wrapping my arms around her waist. Her breathing fluctuates, rasping sounds leaving her mouth as I hold her. "Breathe in" I whisper, rubbing the small of her back in smooth, circular motions. "Breathe out" She does, her heart rate beginning to slow. "You are safe here" I whisper, still holding her tightly.

I have known Nova since fifth grade, her smile always prominent on her beautiful face. We have grown very close and it breaks my heart to see her like this. Like she has shattered into a million pieces and I need to place them back together. I continue comforting her as she silently cries into my arms, each tear disappearing into the fabric of her t-shirt. The one I bought for her two years ago. Nova has struggled with severe anxiety for the past few years and it's only getting worse. I would do anything to take the pain away from her. Anything.

_________________________________________________

🗝️✧.*
Chapter~ eighteen

Words~ 743

Vote if you enjoyed

I know this chapter is heartbreaking, but Nova is a very significant character and you will see more of her in future chapters.

Sorry for the very short chapter! Its been a while:)

Happy new year and I hope 2024 brings you happiness

Love you lots,

Blaire