"That's surprising, not for David, but definitely for Abby. I remember her giving us a whole ass speech on how drugs are bad and will ruin our lives," he speaks like the memory is humorous, making me smile a bit at the thought of Julian remembering moments with my parents.

"Pretty sure she was talking more about meth or popping pills." I shoot Julian a glare while we're stopped at a red light, I point a finger at him, "if I ever find out you're doing something other than smoking weed, I'm sending you to rehab."

Julian shakes his head, "That shit's not worth it," he speaks like he's talking from experience.

"It's not," I agree as we turn on a street that's significantly less put together than the one we live in. The neighborhood is lined with small houses that look beaten up. The yards are unkept, bars on windows, trash littering the sidewalks and street. The type of neighborhood your white suburban mother would tell you to 'roll up the windows and lock the doors' as soon as you enter.

We can't be more than ten minutes away from the house and yet the change in scenery is beyond palpable.

Julian pulls into a driveway, he grabs something from the center console, and tells me to "stay here," before getting out of the car.

"Um, no," I scoff and get out of the car.

"What the hell are you doing?" He questions me.

"I'm going with you," I state like there is no other option.

"Fine, no talking."

"Don't tell me what to do," I bite back, but keep quiet as I follow him. Julian clearly knows the house well considering he just walks through the backyard gate- not that it was that secure seeing how the latch is busted.

No patio or fancy tree swing like at the Wilson's, just some chairs in the grassy backyard. A small group of people are hanging out, some sitting on a camping chair or on one of those steel, foldable chairs you see at backyard parties.

There's three guys and two girls, one of them I instantly recognize from the faded pink hair. Samantha's chatting with the other girl who has long braids that starts in cornrows and ends at her waist.

A skinny, dark skinned boy in the mix spots Julian and I first, "Ay, Julian!" Everyone turns to us, I'm trickling behind Julian as he meets his friend halfway.

"Sup, Junior," Julian greets. The two dab each other up, and we walk towards the rest, Samantha eyeing Julian the entire time.

"Hey, I know you," Junior speaks to me with enthusiasm, "you're the new kid at Gibbs, I've seen you."

"Oh, yeah. I'm Matty."

"Matty, that's right, Kayla was telling me," Junior says.

"What'd I tell you bout talking to my sister?" Julian asks, sizing Junior up, but it seems playful.

"Can't help it when your sister looks-"

"She's fourteen."

"Only three years younger than me."

Julian scoffs, "And yet, she already surpassed you in height," he says, shoving Junior's head to the side in a joshing manner.

"Man, whatever," Junior swats above his head before turning back to me, "It's not Junior, my name's Darius. Not junior."

"Then why you the same height as a fun size Snicker bar?" A bigger guy says from the group. He looks to be more Julian's age. In fact, Junior seems to be the only one close to my age. Everyone laughs at Junior's expense, but he brushes it off and takes his seat.