III. Naked

I don't know what time I managed to fall asleep last night, but what I do know is that it wasn't enough. I want to set my alarm on fire when it goes off around seven in the morning, but I force myself out of bed and get ready for my regular weekend run.

This ritual started with my dad. On Sundays my dad and I would wake up early in the morning and go for a jog around the neighborhood. By the time we got home, mom would be making breakfast for all of us.

Now I run alone, but I refuse to stop. Younger me was chubby and got made fun of a lot due to my weight, so the summer before high school I decided to change that. I changed my eating habits and started running with my father. I lost forty pounds since then and I don't plan on gaining any of that back.

I throw on my grey hoodie and matching shorts before pulling on socks and old sneaks that really need to be thrown away, and I slip outside before anyone can notice me. With headphones in, Arctic Monkeys playing, and my Apple Watch strapped onto my wrist, I begin my run in the brisk October air.

Remembering directions has always been pretty easy for me, so I'm not too worried about getting lost in my new neighborhood. At the end of the block, you have two choices, the woods straight ahead or taking a left turn onto the next road. I plan on taking the road, but something catches my eye. There's a path peaking out through trees at the end of the street, so I take that instead.

The path is a small dirt road that goes further and further into the woods and I'm starting to think I should head back because I've seen way too many horror films, until I spot an opening up ahead. I speed up just a bit until I'm at the clearing and I slow down.

Breathing heavy, I lean on my knees for a moment before walking closer to the beautiful scenery up ahead. A crystal clear lake- small enough to stay hidden, but big enough to not call it a pond. Set in the middle of woods with a waterfall that sparkles in the ounce of sunlight that breaks through the trees.

"Holy shit," I breathe out in awe at the beautiful scenery. Illinois could never.

Looking around, there's no one here, but that makes sense considering the fall season. I'm sure come summer time, this place is crowded, but right now, I can't imagine a more peaceful place.

The peacefulness ends when I step too close to the edge and the dirt caves under one of my feet. Half of my left leg dips into the freezing cold water. With my right foot still on the ground, I push off it and fall to the ground, backing quickly away from the water.

Horrid memories of me drowning rush back as my heart rate rises. "Deep breath, deep breath, deep breath," I speak out loud with my eyes squeezed shut and will myself not to have a panic attack. My hands are shaking, but I fold them into a fist and press them into my eyes to keep me from crying as I tell myself to calm down.

I lay on the ground for ten or so minutes before building the strength to stand up and I walk the rest of the way to my new home.

Despite my panic, the waterfall is still an amazing sight to see and will be a nice place to be alone, so I plan of jogging down that path again. I'll just avoid the edge next time.

Everyone's still sleeping by the time I get home- a little after eight in the morning. I make myself a bowl of cinnamon toast cereal, then head back upstairs quietly as to not wake anyone.

To get rid of my sweaty smell and lake-watered leg, I grab a towel from the linen closet in the hall and head to my bathroom to shower. I knock on the bathroom door and slowly creak it open when I don't hear a response. Realizing it's empty, I turn the shower on, setting it to hot, before stripping my clothes off.

After testing the temperature with my hand, I step onto the tiled shower floor and let my body relax under the steaming water. I let out a sigh. I needed this, especially after my 'almost falling into a lake' incident.