Chapter 17: Sir Leo DeVoune

Leo was currently hanging out at a park with his his friend "Sir" Michael Kalifin. Since they were the same age and Rank and there were no adults around to hound on them for not using the proper honorifics they chose not to. They were friends after all. And neither of them could figure out why the adults decided things needed to be done in such a way.

They were both currently on a pair of swings, swinging enough to get a sort of slow rhythm down. One where they could still comfortably talk to each other without raising their voices.

Leo was talking about his siblings (he was complaining) "Don't get me wrong Michael, I love them, with all my heart, but sometimes I just wish I had siblings who were closer in age to me. I haven't ever really got the chance to properly meet Ruby, Amber is always busy either at school, doing homework or hanging out with her friend Josie to spend time with me and Emilee is too young and immature for me even though I always play dolls with her when she asks."

Michael simply chuckled. "You think that's bad, I was born when my sister was 27 and had already moved out of the house. I only really get to see her on the holidays and rarely on the weekends when she isn't busy with work. And—" he stopped himself from talking any further.

"And?" Leo tried to prompt further, his interest piqued.

Michael remained silent for a long minute. He let out a small sigh, suddenly looking so much more down in the dumps than a literal minute ago.

"It's... nothing. It doesn't matter... let's just drop it okay?"

Leo didn't want to pressure his friend into telling him something that clearly made him upset so he agreed to drop it despite desperately wanting to obtain answers.

They made a silent agreement to just go back to playing however after that it was really weird and an hour later they both said goodbye and went their separate ways to their own homes.

————————————————————–

Leo kicked his shoes off outside before bringing them in and setting them down where the other shoes went. He knew that technically he could just take them off inside and have the servants and maids clean the mess, however that was a dick move and Sir Leo DeVoune was not an asshole so he chose not to.

He walked up to Amber's room to tell her that he returned. He really didn't understand why she had that rule, they didn't live in the primitive Ancient period where parents had to constantly worry about something bad happening to their children like them hurting themselves, wild animals or getting... what was that old-fashioned word... oh yes, kidnapped.

Such a weird word, especially since, from what he learned from his older sister, (he didn't start his first year of school until next year) anyone regardless of age could be "kidnapped". What a strange and unnecessarily violent world their ancestors lived in.

Despite not having to worry and most parents letting their kids walk to places on their own at 10, which was the age Leo currently was, his older sister still insisted on letting her know that he made it home safely. And so he did.

He knocked on the door politely three times, his signature knock before he heard Amber tell him he could enter. He did so and immediately scrunched his face in confusion at her solemn expression and the lack of Eloise being there like she normally would be.

"Where's Eloise and why such the long face?" Leo asked.

"Leo, close the door behind you and sit down for a bit would you." Amber responded.

Leo did so, still confused about everything.

"Leo. I let Eloise leave work early." She said as if she was trying to prolong getting to the point for as long as she physically could.

That worried him.

"Why?" He asked tentatively.

"She got a call from her older brother."

"And?" Leo prompted further.

"Her father passed away an hour ago."

The room suddenly became so much quieter and so much more claustrophobic. It felt like he couldn't breathe.

"What? How? I thought we couldn't die."

"Well, we can. Under certain circumstances. Like how my mother was executed. Or with Eloise's father who worked himself to death to provide for his children. Or other ways. We just can't die from diseases or old age." She told him.

"Oh, right..." Leo mumbled, remembering being there for Isabel's trial, however, he, Amber, and Emilee left the courtroom before the actual execution happened, "Why didn't his employers give him days off?"

"Because he refused. He needed the money to feed and house his children." She responded.

"Why didn't they make him go home and rest, or pay him more so he didn't need to work as much?!" Leo exclaimed, his voice rising with passion.

"Because, that's the way the world works."

The answer was one neither wanted, however it was the only true answer. Leo knew very well how those of lower ranks were often treated worse and stepped on by those of higher ranks however, perhaps due to his childlike naivety, he didn't believe people would be so cruel as to see someone struggling and just turn a blind eye to them and let them drown. The higher ups and others should have been able to see that he was physically unwell. After all, dying due to over exhaustion is a slow and painfully obvious process. So why didn't they try and help. How could they let another human being slowly waste away and die like that??? Didn't they sympathize with him or his family???

He voiced his opinion to Amber.

She only looked down, trying not to let her younger brother see her so visibly upset despite it being so blatantly obvious.

What Amber had said earlier rang in the back of Leo's head. 'That's just the way the world works.' He thinks he understands now. He can see it now. Whereas before he was still wearing the rose tinted glasses of childhood, now, in this moment, they had been removed so he could finally see the truth of the world. The ugly parts of it.

The reason why the higher ups didn't do anything was because he was expendable. He was only one 1, and there were many, many more 1s and 2s who were in the same place as Eloise's father who would be more than willing to work so they and their family could barely get by on scraps.

What was the death of one measly 1 when 1s and 2s made up the majority of the human population?

Yes. He was very aware now. It was a rude awakening but it was a necessary thing.

On that very day, his childlike innocence had died and he was forced to face the reality of the world that he was living in.

1169 words.

Author's Note: Sorry for not updating for a while. I was having writer's block with this series and didn't have the motivation or idea where to go next, but I'm back! I was also busy with another series which I'll still be working on. Hope you enjoyed this chapter.