Chapter 13: Prince Elric Andion Sondez

*Author's Note: this chapter should be read at the same time that the Ilope Genkins Oneshot is. It doesn't matter what order you wish to read them in however keep in mind that people who read this chapter first will have a different experience then those who read the oneshot first and vice versa.*

Elric was anxious. He was in the ballroom and was surrounded by all sorts of family members. It was the annual family get together which meant the entire royal family throughout the 3000 years that the country existed would be there.

And this particular family get together was different. This time the founders, the first ever rulers of Aldovia and the Ancestors of all Royal family members to follow including Elric himself would be attending.

The founders, Samuel and Salina Sondez who were the first ever Queen and King Consort, typically tended to not go to Royal or public events instead preferring to stay in their house in a remote part of the country similar to most Ancient Ones.

The last time they showed up was on the day of Eric's birth. But that was mandatory. It was mandatory that they show up to every child born to the current ruler. However Samuel did name Elric so he guessed there was that.

But this time was different. This time they were showing up and that made Elric very nervous. He was supposed to be the next King of Aldovia. He didn't want to make himself look like a fool in front of the very founders of this country and his ancestors.

Elric took a deep breath in and out before (as confidentially as he could) walking out and going to make his rounds in conversing with everyone. Seeing as he was the next King of Aldovia it was his responsibility to do so while his parents took notes.

Elric still had 15 years before assuming the throne but it was always good to practice. His nervousness reached its peak as he came face to face with Samuel Sondez.

Samuel looked at him as if he was seeing whether or not Elric would make a good future King and Elric couldn't help but squirm under the intensity of his gaze.

"Hello Samuel how are you?" He asked timidly.

"I'm doing good. What about you? How are you doing in your assessment?" He asked calmly.

"Good. So far. At least I think. I mean, I am a little nervous. After all, you and your wife are here." Elric admitted.

"So?"

"So???" Elric asked.

"So? What about it?" Samuel questioned with his arms crossed.

"Um, no I have absolutely no intention to be rude but you're my ancestor. And not just my ancestor, but also one of the founders and the first ever King Consort." Elric said somehow managing to maintain eye contact with Samuel despite how nervous he felt.

Samuel let out a laugh and rested a hand on Elric's shoulder before saying in a tone that was light but you could tell held something darker underneath, "That doesn't mean a damn thing."

Elric looked shocked at such a declaration. "What are you talking about!? You and Salina as well the other founders of the other countries helped everyone get out of the darkness and confusion of the Blank Period! You helped Salina create this nation and stood by her side when people tried to intervene!" Elric said confidentially.

Samuel laughed. A laugh mixed with pain, sorrow, joy and just a twinge of insanity before saying, "You really are naïve. You've only ever seen the picture that the people writing the history books wanted you to see. In reality the Blank Period, and subsequently the people who lived in it, including myself, were both far more complicated than that. It was more of a grey world morality wise instead of a simple black and white like many think."

"Well... even so, even if you had to do things that you normally wouldn't do... you're still historically important... and if I'm being completely honest... I still think you're a good person." Elric said determinedly.

Samuel chuckled. "Oh Elric, I've done so many terrible things, things that I regret—" Samuel was interrupted by Salina pressing a hand on each of their shoulders and smiling; but it was more of the type of smile you smile when someone or something annoys you.

"So, what are we talking about?" She asked.

They both straightened as if they'd been caught with their hand in the cookie jar by their parents, as if they did something wrong. "Nothing. We were just talking." Samuel said looking nervous.

This was reasonable seeing as Salina is a 7. In fact, she was even wearing a beautiful purple gown that seems to sparkle and shine in the pale light of the night (it would definitely have shown brighter in the daylight); with purple being the color of 7s all over the world. Elric was himself wearing a purple 3 piece suit, his over shirt was unbuttoned showing his under shirt because he was too lazy to button it up (he'd probably get in trouble for that).

And even though it was highly unlikely due to the fact that not only was Salina the strongest 7 in all of Aldovia and one of the strongest 7s in the world with thousands of years of experience a 7's abilities were still controlled by emotions so it was always a good thing to be cautious at even the slightest thing that could tick one off... Elric knew from personal experience.

"Oh, okay. Well Elric, I do have a question for you. Why in the world is an 12 year old a servant?"

Samuel sucked in a breath at that.

"Oh that. Well 1s and 2s can get a job once they reach the age of 10. But I don't really like that law; I plan to change it as well as a few other laws once I become king. I for one find that 10 is too young to have a job, kids shouldn't have to work. And besides, I want to be a fair and just ruler... I think I'd rather be loved than feared." Elric responded truthfully.

"Oh. That's good. Because that wasn't a law when I made this country. 10 is too young to have a job. I would have never allowed such a thing. What do you think Samu—" she was interrupted when she noticed how her husband had freezed at their descendant's words.

"Dear, are you alright?" She asked him in concern as she put a hand on his arm.

He simply looked at Elric. "Dylan?" He asked.

Salina froze her eyes darkening. "I—I think you're confused love. Elric, tell your parents we said the reunion was wonderful but we must now take our leave."

"Sure thing Salina, but Samuel, why did you call me Dylan? My name is Elric." Elric asked hoping that the very person who named him didn't just forget his name. That would be pretty embarrassing.

"No. I'm not confused. But Elric, what you just said reminded me of him, my little brother, Dylan." Samuel said sorrow evident in his voice.

"Samuel, we have to leave now." Salina said tugging on his sleeve.

Samuel looked at his descendant before telling him "You have a nice heart... and you easily forgive others... and you try to see the good in everyone and everything. I can tell just by looking at you. While that can be good just remember that not everyone is good. It'll do you some good... I don't want anything bad to happen to you... farewell then."

With that, the two left the party.

1285 words.