Chapter 12: Josie D'Lear

Lady Amber had never told her she had a twin sister. Though with all that was just revealed Josie could understand why. And from the sounds of it she and her twin were the product of an illegal pairing, a 1 and 4, meaning they were never even supposed to exist. Josie supposed that was the reason why Lady Amber— no, she wanted Josie to just call her Amber, was kinder to the lower Ranks.

Amber decided to walk Josie home (in reality, she used her teleporter to teleport them to the section of the Satrina District that Josie lived in and they walked the rest of the way), she said she had something to show Josie. "So what is it?" Josie asked.

Amber took out a letter and handed it to Josie. "Read this." She said.

The first thing that Josie noticed was the dove symbol. The Royal family. She gasped as she read the letter. "How'd you get the Prince's attention Amber?" Josie asked in bewilderment.

"I accidentally bumped into him the other day and I guess he took a liking to me."

"Oh I bet he took a liking to you." Josie said making a face at Amber causing her to blush.

"N–No it's not like that I promise." She said waving her hands in the air frantically.

"If you say so."

"What are you two youngsters talking about over there?" Called a familiar voice.

The pair looked over to see a tan woman with shamrock green eyes tending to her garden. Josie perked up and pulled Amber towards the woman calling out "Reyna!"

"Took you long enough to notice me. Tell me, who is that young Lady next to you." Reyna asked with a smirk on her face.

"Oh, that's Lady Amber Tia Hulman of the DeVoune noble family." Josie saw the look Amber gave her and quickly changed it, "But you can just call her Amber."

"Nice to meet you Amber. So tell me about yourself." Reyna said with a smile.

"Oh, me, I really don't know what to say, I'm Josie's friend. I like sweets and I am confident." Amber said nervously.

"That's nice." Reyna said, "You know, you kind of remind me of an old friend I used to have."

"Oh, what happened to him?" Josie asked.

"Nothing. I just haven't seen him in awhile. He had a kid to raise, I had other stuff to do, so we both drifted apart." She said sadly.

"Oh." The pair said.

In order to get back on a lighter mood Josie changed the subject. "So, Reyna, do you have any stories to tell us?"

"Oh. I do. Apparently, according to urban legend, there's a secret District called the Ilope District next to the Tallia District. Apparently it was named after the first ever 8, a new Rank that not many have heard of before." She said in a mysterious voice.

"But there are only 7 Ranks." Josie said confused.

"Not according to the legend there aren't. As I was saying, these 8s can heal, regenerate, and see into the future and the past. Also according to the legend Ilope lurks in the very depths of the Ilope District, where many secrets are hidden, a place that you have to search meticulously for, and he lays there in wait, preparing for the moment to avenge his father by killing his father's murderer." Reyna finished.

"Is this true?" The pair of teenagers asked.

"Well, let's just say I may have met him before. Anyways you should get home, it's getting late." Reyna said.

Josie opened the door only to be met with chaos. "What's wrong?" She asked at the same time as Amber.

"Dad collapsed! It's not looking good." Kenny said in a panicked tone.

Josie's whole world seemed to shatter in that moment and her face darkened.

Amber rested a hand on her shoulder. "Are you okay?" She asked.

"Amber... I think you need to leave. Your parents are probably worried about you."

668 words.