Chapter 11: Lady Amber Tia Hulman

Amber was walking down the stairs when she saw the head servant heading towards her with a handful of letters. He bowed in respect before handing her a letter and dashing off to no doubt hand out the rest of the letters.

"Thank you Peter!" She called out to him before he turned the corner and he nodded his head back to her, "Oh and tell the Mrs. I said hi!" She yelled and he jolted a blush no doubt appearing on his face as he finally turned the corner.

She went back to her room closing the door behind her as she inspected the envelope. The seal had the dove symbol on it. Amber gasped in surprise. The dove was not only the national bird but also the family crest of the Royal family.

Amber made sure she was as careful as possible when opening the envelope and then the letter and read the letter to herself.

'Addressed to Amber Tia Hulman, Rank 5, of the DeVoune noble family, currently living in the Elvana District:

This is Prince Elric Sondez of the Kingdom of Aldovia and I wanted to inquire if you could visit the Royal Castle so we could converse on June 11th at 2:30p.m. to 4:30p.m.

Thank you,
Prince Elric Andion Sondez '

She stood there stunned before running out of her room to find Josie and tell her the news. She found Josie looking out of a window downstairs and when Amber tried to open her mouth Josie shushed her.

"Look." Josie said pointing at the open window and when Amber peeked out her mouth seemed to drop open. Outside stood her father who seemed to be arguing with a 1 who looked familiar but Amber couldn't quite place where.

"Sir Connor I am her grandmother and I demand to see her! You can't just keep her to yourself and your family! My side also deserves a chance to get to know her!" Said the woman causing Amber to gasp.

Amber immediately knew what that meant and why the woman seemed so familiar. She was her maternal grandmother.

"Are you questioning me?" Her father said in a tone she'd never heard before, a tone that frightened her.

She pulled Josie with her and rushed out the house towards the pair. "Dad please stop! Hear her out!" She begged.

Amber's father turned around to look at her and his eyes immediately softened. He looked at Josie who was next to Amber before sighing. "Fine, you can talk to her so long as Josie is with you." He said before walking back into the house.

"Thank you Lady Amber, my name is Rosemary and I'm your grandma." Rosemary said.

"Just call me Amber Grandma." She said.

"Oh, okay Amber. I just wanted to see you, I haven't been able to sense my daughter lost custody of you and your twin sister and I didn't want you to hate me because I was never there." She explained.

"I didn't know you had a twin sister." Josie said.

"Yes, I do." She told Josie, "Do you, do you have any stories about my Mother" Amber asked in desperation.

"Yes. Your mother was such a kind and innocent soul. Even as a child herself, only 19 when she had you two, she was so devoted to making sure you both had the best life possible even if it meant sacrificing something that she wanted. And she tried to stay with you two for as long as she could but you manifested as a 5 and Ruby a 6 so it didn't work out. I was so proud of her." Rosemary said in reminiscence.

"That's nice, but was?" Josie asked.

"She died 4 years ago Josie. And, thank you for letting me know, I don't really remember that much about her, Dad got custody when I was 4. Did she have any siblings? What about my grandfather?"

"Oh." Josie said quietly.

Rosemary looked sad. "It's... fine. She never had any siblings and her father..." She got mad at the last part, "He was a 1 named James Vangall. He promised me that he'd be there for me and Isabel. He helped me setup the nursery and even promised me we'd get married but three days before I gave birth he just disappeared. He didn't warn me beforehand, I tried to get in contact with him but it was pointless and when I gave birth I was totally alone and scared. I was left to raise her all by myself and I learned to never trust men again. He was my first and only love and he left me at my most vulnerable."

"Oh, I'm so sorry that that happened to you. So he never showed up again after that?" Amber asked.

"Well he did once. When Isabel was 8 years old. She came up to me when she was playing at a local Park. She pointed at a figure leaning on a tree in the distance and from even from that distance I could tell it was her father. But what surprised me the most was that he was wearing blue this time. The colors of a 2 and not a 1. When he noticed me looking he seemed to teleport away even though only nobles and Royals have Teleporters so it didn't make any sense." Rosemary said.

"Maybe he lied to you." Josie said.

"What?" Both Rosemary and Amber asked.

"Well what if he was a 6. You said Ruby is a 6 and one of the 3 major factors of manifesting an ability is genetics and I'm assuming neither your father's side nor maternal grandmother's side have any 6s" the other two shook their heads no, "so maybe he lied about his Rank since he was a 1 when you were together and in 2 clothes in the park. And if I'm correct then I can bet you his name was fake as well." Josie said.

Rosemary looked rather enraged. "Why didn't he tell me then! I wouldn't have cared about his Rank!"

They just stared in wonder.

1019 words.

Happy 4th of July for my fellow Americans!