Chapter V - Promise

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, Victor, if you weren't here, I don't know what I would do." Wanda exits his mind. She gave him a tired smile. Victor couldn't help but notice just how much more tender she was than his father.

"But I am here, and I am not going anywhere."

"You mean, you want to join the team?"

"Well, it's not like I have any other place to go. The city is in ruins, and so is the shop."

"I was hoping you would say that. I also want to join. I've done plenty of things wrong, Victor, you don't even know, but I did. Not only that, but I need to make amends for myself and for... Pietro." More tears dropped from her eyes.

You will protect her, Victor. Promise me. The promise echoed in his mind.

"Wanda, I am here, and I know this isn't the same, but I am with you."

"Thank you so much. I promise I will never lose control like that. I will train, and I will get better. I will never hurt you again, I swear."

"I know you won't, Wanda, and I swear to stand by your side. No disappearances this time. If you'd like, I can help with control. I can show you what I know." Wanda smiled at him. It was a small, barely noticeable twitch, but it was there. She leans in slightly closer to him. "I would like that, Victor."

Suddenly, the doors opened, and Steve Rogers and Clint Barton entered the infirmary. They still wore their costumes covered in dust and dried blood. Despite what they had just been through, they still moved with confidence and strength. Wanda pulled back and sat straight on her chair.

What are these people made of? Thought Victor. Clint was carrying two bottles of water and ration bars. He placed it on the table right next to Victor's bed.

"It's all I could have found. You need to eat something, guys." Wanda barely looked at them. She played with her rings and seemed content with just looking at the bedsheets. Steve and Clint looked at each other awkwardly. Victor tried to open the ration bar, but his stiff fingers made it impossible. Wanda moved her hair behind her ear and helped him.

"Thank you, Wanda." Victor took a bite. "Can you please eat with me, Wanda? It's so awkward to do this alone." Wanda bites her lip and slowly grabs the other bar. They ate in silence for a minute. Although Clint sent Victor an approval nod, Steve finally cleared his throat.

"Victor, I'm not sure what Wanda told you, but I would like to formally invite you to the Avengers. You showed great skill and willingness to put your life on the line to save others. For me, for all of us, that's more than enough."

"How would that work?"

"Well, you will need to regularly train with us and eventually join others on missions. You could live in our new headquarters or have a place of your own. However, you will need to have a means of quickly getting to us."

"I mean, it sounds great, but..." Wanda placed in his hands an opened water bottle.

"Drink Victor."

"Pushy." Victor smirked at her, and for a moment—a very brief moment—there was a spark of mirth in her tired eyes. Victor took a long sip of water and felt his cheeks burn. "I don't have any money."

"Oh, don't worry about that, Merlin. It's rent-free, hell, S.H.I.E.L.D. will pay you monthly for being part of the team." Clint spoke lightly.

"Merlin? Really?"

"Anyway, what about you, Wanda?" Steve looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm also joining."

"Glad to have both of you on board. Once we land, Doctor Helen Cho will take a look at your arms, Victor." He then turned to Wanda. "There will also be a memorial service as we discuss Wanda." His cold confidence was gone from his voice as he spoke. Wanda simply nodded.

"We will land shortly." He turned on his heel and left, leaving only Clint with them.

"I'm sorry, Wanda."

"You said that, Clint. Everyone is sorry, but that won't change anything, will it?"

"How did that happen?" Victor asked, even if he feared the answer.

"I tried to save a child, and Ultron tried to gun us down. Pietro pushed me aside."

"God, he was always reckless."

"He was."

"Remember when he, on a bet, climbed on the rooftop of a garage?" Victor gently asked Wanda. Her ringed fingers were intertwined with his bandaged ones.

"Yes. He rubbed himself in tar."

"And you said he needed to hide from the sun, lest he catch fire."

She chuckled and cleared her wet cheeks and eyes.

"Ultron is dead, right?" Victor asked Clint, who was looking at them both with both amusement and relief.

"Yes, Vision finished him off."

"Vision, is that the red guy?"

"Correct. However, more technically, he is an android, not a guy. If you want details, you need to ask Stark or Cho. All I care about is that he is a good guy." He took a deep breath. "Anyway, I'm retiring. I just need to get some things from the headquarters." Clint pulled out two cars and placed them on the table. "If you two ever need help or just want to speak with an old man like me, you can always call me." They both hide cards in their pockets.

"Thank you, Clint."

"Yes, thank you... And for the pep talk."

"You both did great out there, even if you don't feel like it. Just watch each other's backs, and everything will be fine." He turned, and as he was about to leave, he cast one last look over his shoulder at Wanda.

"I'm proud of you, Wanda, for joining the Avengers."

"This is all so surreal," Victor whispered as they were alone. The walls started to shake slightly, and a mechanical voice broadcasted the incoming landing. "I'm expecting to wake up any second now."

"I wish I could wake up." Her voice cracked again.

Victor slowly stood up. He cracked his neck and checked his arms. He wanted to say something—anything to reassure her and take the pain away—but it didn't work like that. She will have to take one step at a time.

"Are you ready, Wanda?"

"Not really, are you?" She stood up.

"I don't think anyone can be ready for this." He shrugged, and the pair left the infirmary.

One step at a time.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for reading.

Take care :)