-10-

When Chiyo was grabbed by the sleeve by a frantic, pale Naomasa she knew something was wrong, following him quickly through the halls.

But she wasn't expecting this.

No one could ever expect this..

Nezu was sitting in a bathtub painted a brownish crimson, soaked with blood and cradling a bloodied child in a horribly tight muzzle close to himself- mumbling promises and prayers with tears in his eyes He couldn't get the muzzle off- he was trying and failing repeatedly.. it was too tight and locked to be safely removed right now.

And god the sight of that child...

Even Nezu and Naomasa- men of many words and eloquence in their own rights- would never be able to describe the heart shattering cry that the grandmotherly woman gave.

The way she crumbled to her knees beside the tub and checked for a pulse in sobs..

The way the moments ticked by as she winced and removed the shirt and pants from the unconscious child and took pictures of the potentially fatal injuries the kid had..

The miliseconds she knew might be the difference between life and death,

The blips of time as she pressed a kiss to her forehead..

The way the air seemed suffocating as she realized the only wounds she could heal were the immediately fatal ones, but the girl would still be in immense pain, and if untreated she could still bleed out...

Nothing could describe the feeling that came from those tense, horrid moments in that torture chamber.

Despite the way Chiyo screamed- it was Nezu who was most affected.. the chimera breaking down into sobs when he was told that the girl would live. He sobbed into the girl, not caring about the blood he got on himself from the action as he bawled and made promises of safety and protection for the kid, babbling out how much he was going to spoil her if she could just make it through the night for him.

His voice was choked as he begged in a whisper "Please kid- please don't bleed out on me.. please I will never be able to forgive myself watching an 8 year old die so horribly.. please- please don't stop breathing.. please.." Nezu was trembling like he had been dipped in an ice bath- and his mind was foggy with grief and fear for the poor child. Something about the way she looked beaten like that reminded him of old memories he had buried deep within himself.

Memories he tried to keep buried within himself.

Bloodied labs, muzzles and horrible torment he remembered on himself..

Now immortalized on the visible body of a little girl.

He could barely take it, with each new memory that flashed through his head he buried himself more into the little girls body and continued to beg and make promises.

"I promise little mouse- I promise I'll give you the best of the best- I'll get you into UA if you want it- I'll make sure you're loved- please little one just live- get through the night and I promise I will give you everything I never had.. please- please keep breathing- please don't bleed out- please-"

Each new sob from Nezu could make even the strongest of men cry- the desperation in his voice a horrifying symphony of anxiety. He was frenzied- his normally calm demeanor now broken into a million pieces as he truly begged for her to live. Naomasa and Chiyo both were in sobs as Nezu wailed brokenly to the kid, begging for her to stay strong and make it through the night. It took a few moments of convincing from Chiyo to even let her take Mizuki from him to treat her wounds.

And when she was brought out he made his orders known not to come anywhere near her other than for medical evaluations, and once those were done he insisted her be in his car and held her the whole ride to UA, where all of them had decided to go since it was safer there and they weren't sure if the parents had associations to villains. Rumi did the same with Noriko- protectively keeping everyone and everything away from the kid, but Nezu was worse, more protective. He threatened to fire about 4 staff members who tried to get near the kid, the only reason he didn't was because Shouta talked him down.