Accepting

"Maybe there are times when one should welcome defeat, tell it to come right in and sit down

"Maybe there are times when one should welcome defeat, tell it to come right in and sit down."

- Iris Murdoch

Throughout the day, several glances are passed between the two women. A clear discomfort has arisen, but none of the team members has spoken up about it. As nighttime arives, the two women are met again in their shared hotel room. JJ is getting unready in the bathroom while Emily undresses herself, changing into her pajamas. They haven't spoken a word to each other since earlier that morning, the tension still present.

"We should talk about what happened, we can't just ignore it like this." Emily says when JJ finally steps out of the bathroom, still looking beautiful as ever even without any makeup on. She immediately notices the discomfort in JJ's eyes. "Yeah, yeah we should. It was a mistake, God we should've never-" Jennifer starts freaking out, but Emily soothes her nerves by laying a hand on her arm.

"Jayge, calm down for a second." She says, staying by the blonde until her breathing seems to become more regular. "I just-" JJ can't seem to form the sentence she is afraid to let out. Stroking her arms gently, Emily has a certain look of concern in her eyes. 

"I cheated on Will, Em." Jennifer finally lets out, bursting into tears as she does. Collapsing into the raven haired womans arms, Emily kisses the top of her head and holds her close. What felt like heaven to her, might've ruined JJ's marriage. She hasn't thought of it like that. "Shh Jayge, it's not your fault." Prentiss tries, in attempt to comfort the blonde.

"A-and the worst part is, I don't want it to stop." JJ says, slightly pulling away, her voice trembling. Emily frowns her eyebrows. "What do you mean by that?" She asks, voice still soft and gentle. 

"I think about you, all the time. I think about what you're wearing, and what you're doing, and who you're doing it with. I think about what friends you have, I think about what you eat before you go to work, and what shampoo you use, and what happened in your family. I think about your eyes and your mouth, and if you ever think of me, I think about what you have for breakfast. I just-" She pauses, sighing. "want to know everything." JJ rants, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Oh Jayge, I think about you too. All the fucking time, and it freaks me out." Emily says, feeling more loved than she has in years, pulling the blonde close again. "The amount of times I sat there in London, purchasing a plane ticket to visit you, but then at the last moment I thought of you and Will, and I knew that it wouldn't be right of me." Prentiss confesses, still holding JJ. This makes the blonde chuckle, tears still rolling down her cheeks.

"I don't want this to end, does that make me a horrible person?" JJ sniffs. Emily shakes her head, planting another kiss on the top of her head. "No it doesn't Jayge, I just don't know if we should." The raven haired woman sighs, thinking back to the speech JJ just gave.

"I know, I know Em." JJ says, pulling back from the hug. Taking both her hands, she holds Emily's head, taking her beauty in for a second. She stands up on her toes, giving Prentiss a small kiss on the lips. "You make me feel safe, I don't want to lose this feeling." Jennifer says, pulling away.

"I can't be with you, knowing Will is at home waiting for you Jayge." Emily sighs, frustrated by both of their feelings. Letting go of each other, Prentiss walks over to her own bed, wanting to sleep. "Can you stay in my bed?" JJ tries. Emily looks at the still teary eyed woman, and knows she can't resist. She gets in bed with the blonde, holding her while she slowly falls asleep.

Her hands around JJ's waist, Emily spends her night looking at the back of the blonde's head. Taking in her scent, Prentiss wonders how long this will last. How long it will take for Jennifer to push her away. She decides to cherish it, and not let anyone get in the way. No matter how unethical this may be, Emily finds herself comfortable with JJ in her arms, safe.

--- 

As JJ wakes up, she smiles at the sight of an asleep Emily holding her. Not wanting to wake her, JJ carefully turns around, now facing the raven haired woman. Pressing a soft kiss to her nose, Jennifer gets up and starts getting dressed for the day, letting Prentiss sleep in for a few minutes. 

Checking her phone, she sees the missed calls and texts from Spencer. Ever since she told him, he's been freaking out. Going crazy over the fact that Will is getting cheated on. In retrospect, JJ should've never told him. She knew exactly how he'd react.

"Who is it?" A now awake Emily asks. "Spencer, he's been freaking out over everything." Prentiss sighs. "Yeah, I didn't expect him to be the type of person who just ignores stuff like this." 

"Exactly, he just doesn't see the emotional motivation behind it." JJ expands. Emily slowly gets up, walking over to the blonde. She plants a soft kiss on JJ's lips, taking her in surprise. "Maybe it's a better idea to keep this to just us for now." She says softly before walking into the bathroom.

Stunned by the action, JJ finds her cheeks heat up. Maybe this could work out. She'll just have to tell Spencer she ended stuff with Emily, and they're back to normal again. No one has to know, not until the two of them have figured it out. Happy with their new plan, JJ heads down to the hallway to get some coffee for the both of them.

When she walks up to the small coffee booth in the dining hall, she is met with Morgan and Reid. Feeling her stomach twist, she decides to act oblivious and make small talk. "Hey guys!" She smiles. She must've interrupted something pretty important, because even Derek seems aggitated. "Morning." He says, putting on a small, fake smile. "yeah, morning." Reid mumbles beneath his breath, barely audible.

Not wanting to make things worse, Jennifer keeps herself silent before returning to the hotel room. Walking in, she notices Emily getting ready for the day. "I brought coffee!" The blonde says, suddenly very cheerful. "I was wondering where you went, thank you." Prentiss smiles, having missed the woman in those few minutes. A sudden urge to be around one another all the time arose in these past few days.

"Morgan and Reid have talked about things together, and they didn't seem very happy to see me down there." JJ explains, not knowing how to handle this on her own. "Well, I honestly don't see how it's their problem. Besides, we're just going to tell them we ended whatever this is, okay? It'll all be okay from that point on." Emily smiles, attempting to comfort the blonde. 

Standing up, putting the coffee down, the raven haired woman walks up to JJ. Putting both hands on her waist, she looks Jennifer right in the eyes. "It'll be okay Jayge, I promise you." 

A thousand questions still spinning in her head, JJ decides to let everything go for a minute, kissing Emily softly. "Thank you Em, I love you." She smiles, gently putting Prentiss' hair behind her ear. She could get used to this.

Words: 1274

AHHH the Killing Eve reference ;)