Chapter 58. School's Out

I woke up to Anna, she was placing her hand ever so gently on my shoulder and whispering to me to wake up. When I had gotten out of bed, Anna was farther away from me than usual. Since that night a few weeks ago, Anna was always in reaching distance to me when she was finished her tasks as a maid. Now she was near the wall of the room and taking short glances at me as I rose from bed. After a few moments, I started to talk to her to see if she was okay.

" Anna did something happen? Are you okay?"

Anna looked at me with a surprised look on her face and began to stumble out a sentence.

" M-m-Master... I-i-i-i- I'm fine! No problem here at all!"

The look on her face says otherwise. She looks like I found her eating candy before dinner. I tried to broach the subject in an easier way to see if I knew what she was bothered by. I felt like I had an inkling.

" By chance Anna, are you feeling embarrassed because of yesterday?"

" !!!!"

Seems I hit the mark. I continued to speak.

' Is the idea of having children that embarrassing to you?"

Anna began to panic at what I said.

" N-n-n No Master! It's not that!"

Anna got quiet after she stated I was wrong. I just waited for her to be comfortable enough to finish her thoughts. Before long she was ready to continue.

" It's just that, well... The Goddess knows about everything. Which means she is constantly watching us as we hold hands or kiss.

" Well not to bum you out, but Sarah has watched us kiss and hug every night since we started doing it all those weeks ago."

" Yes, but Sarah is a participant as well, so it doesn't feel the same. It's like my mother is watching us through a window or something similar."

" I can kind of understand how you feel. However, it's not like we're doing that right now. Do you really need to be so far away from me?"

I asked her about the thing that was bothering me. She seemed to realize how unnatural the way she was acting appeared to someone other than herself. She started to speak to me after taking a bit of a deep breath and began to speak.

" Yes, I suppose it would seem strange a bit. Please do forgive me but give me some time to adjust to this new information please John."

" Whatever makes you comfortable, makes me comfortable Anna."

Anna, who seemed touched by my words, started to close the distance between us with a wry smile on her face. Besides this little incident, the morning was normal. I had a normal breakfast, then we took off to Aqua's class. We arrived at the same time as usual. Everyone else had already arrived. I was looked at strongly by Asha and Cynthia for some reason. Once we sat down, I was greeted by Sarah. I asked her if she had any idea why Asha and Cynthia would be displeased with me. My hand was grabbed under the desk, and I was just told not to worry about it and that I was overthinking it. After settling into my seat, Aqua stood from her desk and started to speak.

" Well good morning, everyone! I have some news to announce so do please listen!"

Once Aqua was sure she had our attention she began to speak.

" Basically, we have nothing left to teach you all for now! Also, we need to do some logistics for the trip up north to the border to fight the Hero Party."

" What?"

I couldn't help but voice a question. Aqua seeing my confusion began to explain what she meant.