Chapter 50 - A Most Unpleasant Conversation

Start from the beginning

 Since I've been seeing more of her lately, especially of her interactions with Neuvillette, I did realize that Lady Furina acting as archon and Lady Furina just in general are two very different people, but...

 Now she looked...

 She looked worried. Frightened even.

 Why?

 Did something happen during their last meeting?

 Something so grave that it could cause Neuvillette's tone to slip?

 "I heard of your little crisis inside the Fortress of Meropide and I've come to express my willingness to help."

 "There is no need. The Chief Justice and Duke Wriothesely are perfectly-"

 "To put it bluntly, Miss Furina, I'm aware that the Primordial Sea is somewhere within Meropide's walls." She interrupted her.

 Lady Furina's eyes widened and she struggled to come up with a response.

 That's when Neuvillette stepped in.

 "That was out of line, Miss Arlecchino."

 "Whatever do you mean, Monsieur Neuvillette?"

 He means your tone was utterly disrespectful and you even interrupted an archon.

 "I interrupting Fontaine's archon wasn't enough, your mocking and insulting tone would be more than sufficient for me to charge you."

 Oh wow.

 A clear threat.

 I wasn't expecting that.

 It looked like after the Knave had dropped all intentions of having a peaceful conversation, Neuvillette had deemed it enough and went on the offensive.

 "Is that a threat, Chief Justice?"

 "That depends solely on your next course of action. I, for one, do not wish to give Duke Wriothesely another... harbinger to deal with."

 The way he said 'harbinger' sounded a whole damn lot like he was saying 'useless burden'.

 Pfft!

 This is a side of Neuvillette's I haven't seen before.

 It's incredibly entertaining.

 "Neuvillette, that is quite enough." Lady Furina finally spoke up.

 "Lady Furina-"

 "Enough, I said."

 Something flashed past Neuvillette's eyes, but in the end, he remained silent.

 Oh?

 Usually, the dragon would not relent when their thoughts clashed. At the very least he would attempt to convince the archon, so to see this...

 Could it be that Lady Furina held more authority over him than I thought?

 Or was this just him giving her face in front of the Knave?

 It was then that I started hearing a set of voices inside my head.

 It was also at this moment that I realized that I had been thinking too much.

 "Neuvillette! What the hell is wrong with you."

 "I'm frustrated. She is frustrating me further."

 "Then suck it up and deal with it! Do you think I want to be here?! She just threw out such a bomb and you go and threaten her?!"