19 | Memories of Blue

Start from the beginning

"Why don't you go home for now? This is a disaster and there's not much we can do right now other than wait for results. I'll call you if there's an update," he says, and I nod. As much as I should stay back and help find the tiniest speck of evidence, I know I'll be a bother with the state of mind that I'm in.

"Yeah, I'll see you later." I say. I was too shaken to take the bus so I grab a cab instead.

When I get out, I sit on my steps and rub my temples. This whole thing has become a horrible mess waiting to become even worse. I walk inside my apartment, make myself some tea and throw on the TV, half watching it for a while before I entirely zone out on my living room couch.

***

Later that evening, after I snap back to reality I decide I need to go see Father Eddard since he's the only person I can talk about my past with, something I desperately need to do.

The sun was just setting as I get out of the cab, the sky filled with a mixture of orange and pink. I have always loved sunsets for some odd reason I can't quite explain.

I enter the church and see Father Eddard laying out the programs for the upcoming Sunday service.

"Father Eddard!" I yell at him a bit loudly to get his attention. He turns to look at me immediately with a look of surprise on his face.

"Amara dear, it's nice to see you but please lower your voice. We are in a church," he insists and sets the programs down on the table before walking over to me. "What's wrong?"

"I'm not sure what to do. It's this case I'm working on. It feels like it's some crazy spider web. Everything connecting all the way back to years ago in highschool. It's like it all leads back to Janet, but it can't because she's dead, but is she really dead cause it's starting to feel like she's at every twist and turn and I—" I begin an impulsive rant and he holds up his hand.

"Slow down Amara, come sit down please," he says and brings me over to one of the benches in the entryway and we sit down. "Now, explain to me what's going on, slowly, one thing at a time," he says, and I nod.

"Archie was just murdered, right outside the station! Just moments after he'd given me and my partner a ride back to the precinct, his car exploded! It's like my highschool days are coming back to haunt me. Not only that I feel like it's also connected to my parents' death," I say and he sighs.

"I'm aware of Archie's death. It's all over the news and I know you want more of an explanation for your parents death Amara, but it was an accident and nothing mo—"

"How can you say that?" I interject, unable to understand as to why he was retaliating the truth. "You'd known them for a good while, you knew the kind of people they dealt with. Not to mention, they were trying to dig up dirt on the Covingtons right before the accident! Do you really think it was all just some sort of a crazy coincidence?"

He stays quiet for a long second before finally speaking up. "Sometimes we look for someone to blame to cope, but there's no one to blame unfortunately. Your parents dealt with dangerous people, yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the Covingtons are evil. If they are, I'm sure someone would've come along to speak up on it. I can't say anything on the Janet situation and I'm sorry to hear Archie died. He was a nice kid," he says, and I shake my head.

"My parents' death wasn't an accident, Father. They were murdered! You can think what you want but when I find their killer there will be hell to pay," I say and stand up. Out of everyone I can count on, he was the one I was so sure would understand me. I might be acting a bit irrational, yes, but that doesn't excuse the fact that there are too many cards falling in the right places.

I go back home for the night with a bizarre migraine building up in my head.

***

Three days later Aiden and I are sitting at our desks going over every inch of the case. We just couldn't begin to piece it together or untangle the web from years ago.

Archie's death was caused by a timed bomb that was placed on the undercarriage of his car. Since he often took his car to public places like parks and cafés to meet up with his clients, we have little to no possibility of knowing who might've fit it there, leading us to end up back in square one.

"Sir you can't just walk in there!" Aiden and I look up to see a security officer chasing after a man as he storms into the precinct. He marches right over to us and Aiden waves off the guard.

I'm unable to recognize him immediately, but once the realization dawns on me as to who he is, a chill runs down my spine.

"Paul?" I ask and get up from my chair, followed by Aiden who I notice from the corner of my eye, has an alarmed expression on his face. "What are you doing here?" I ask, and Paul takes a deep breath before responding.

"I'm here to tell you everything, I need you to know the truth. I need you to know what I've been doing since that day. I fear I may be next and I can't escape this. I need protection, for myself and my family. The best way to get that is to tell you whatever you want to know." He says, and Aiden and I look at each other before leading Paul to an interview room.

This has to be the break we need.

***

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hey Arcanas!

Sorry for the late update, we are both working very hard to get these out as fast as possible. We ask that you be patient and work with us. We love you all so much and hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thanks for reading!

-Author Emily